does this look any good to you guys????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2130&g=116

i am re-doing my workshop and i dont have alot of space, its about 1.5Mx3.5M! so i am looking to buy a combination machine! i thought this looked good because it has alot of uses but its small aswell!.....but i remember Charlie saying that he owned a TS2000 (i think) and after looking at it on the internet i realised that it was quite big, also i remember him saying that his workshop was small!

well my other question is to Charlie.....when you had your old workshop (now that you will be moving to that big one :p ) did you find it a problem cutting timber up??? i have also been looking at the larger combination machines and i dont know what it would be like for space!

Cheers

Tom

as with any of these things it depends what you want to do with it, but I'd be wary of this combi just based on the blade/spindle sizes, let alone anything else. I've got the kity bestcombi and every so often I find I want a deeper cut than the 200mm blade will give...160mm would make those problems even worse.

As for the 20mm "spindle moulder" i don't think I've ever seen tooling for that size - certainly not common.

My experience - I use the spindle moulder occasionally as I have it, but if I didn't i could carry out those tasks quite happily on the router and table.

If I had my time again i would probably buy a separate saw and planer/thicknesser, for all the reasons given in other threads on separate vs all in one machines, and that the spindle moulder function gets used very little. And if you do need to do a lot of moulding, then a machine with a more standard size block/spindle would probably be a better investment.

thanks MP! the only trouble with buying seperate machines is that it costs more most of the time !!! but i have had a rethink and if i can get a TS with the ability to cut staight lines :p then that would be good! also i would like it with a sliding carriage but i know that would be more expensive!! and also a planer/thicknesser for around £350!

as i said in my earlier topic i will hopefully be getting some money in about a months time, £2000 to be exact, but i am not going to spend all of it on power tools 'cos that would be silly!! so i have a budget of around £600-£700 to buy...a P/T, a bandsaw, a T/S, air compressor and nail gun, and a new chop saw!! but obviosly my budget is waaaayy too low to get all of these thats why i was hopin for a nicely priced combination machine would be great (if anyone can show me one that'd be great!)

Cheers

Tom

Tom,

I think MP is right on the money with his advice. I wonder if it might be worth looking out for something like a Bestcombi secondhand? They do seem to turn up, both in local classifieds and the woodworking mags, and I think you'd be a lot happier than with the Tekna. Of course really it would be better to limit yourself to the one machine you really need and get a good one, but it's an awfully easy thing to say but not so easy to do! :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Thomas,

I have seen one of these and they are so tiny they look like a toy
Though a very dangerous one admitted with all them spinning sharp cutting things :wink:

You would be quite severly limited with what you can do with one.

Cheers

Signal

Hi Tom

Afraid I am fully in agreement with Signal. I too have seen one of these in my local machinemart and they are tiny. Not sure that it would be any good for anything other than really small projects

Cheers

Tony

Also, 1200watts 'tis not much. Plenty of routers with more oomph than that.

I reckon it would run out of power in use.

Adam

what do you want to make with this stuff initially?

as i've got a sliding carriage on the table saw and all the stuff i'm working with at present is less than 4' long I've not had to shell out for a chop saw...mind you. when a van load of sawn timber turns up and i've spent all day hand-sawing it down to manageable lengths I've been tempted :)

as for the compressor and nail gun, I tend to use joints or screws, so again haven't found a use. But if i were building the workshop out of T&G the nail gun would be high on the list...

i made a lot of initial purchases when i set up a workshop a couple of years ago and ended up with a few bits that never got used. i got a second go at it a year ago when most of my stuff (except the kity) got nicked and this insurance payed out. Some i replaced with exactly the same thing as i had been happy with them, some I changed brands, some i didn't bother to replace and still haven't - it all depends on what you need when.

On a limited budget now I would probably do planer/thicknesser, bandsaw, drill press and router as a starter, and the first few projects would include a router table...

the other drawback to a combi is you usually need to get to both sides of it for the different functions, and given the width of your workspace I'd guess that you would struggle or have to keep moving it...and they weigh 2-3 times as much as a single machine

thanks for your input! i appreciate it!
well....until it come to actually having the money i cant really think about second hand machines!
i have seen a bandsaw on axminster this one
( http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AWSBS ) it looks good and comes with a stand..it is also cheap :p

for the planer thicknesser i havn't had much look in finding but this one looks alright ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CCNPT ) but this one looks much better but out of my budget :cry: ( http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AW106PT )

although if i find a seperate jointer and thicknesser i will get those!

as far as a new table saw goes i think i will wait until i find a second hand one!

nail gun-i am planning to clad my workshop and put new flooring down so this is a must! i think the one in B&Q looks allright!

chop saw- looks like ill have to stick with the one i have now until i have the money!

thanks again for your input guys!

Tom

MP":31eoyd8g said:
what do you want to make with this stuff initially?

well lots of stuff really!! i am planning to fit out a kitchen :? a bit daunting!! also theres a load of stuff i need to do from small things to bigger things!

and of course there will be more things as time goes one!!

Cheers

Tom

thomaskennedy":2p9ml9hq said:
nail gun-i am planning to clad my workshop and put new flooring down so this is a must! i think the one in B&Q looks allright!

If money is limited but you must have a nail gun for cladding then why not one of the electric ones ? I've got a Rapseco, and it's OK - should be fine for thin cladding. If money is really limited then you could try a hammer!

Just to balance the Rapesco recommendation - I had one of these for a while and battled with it no end. It jammed up every 5-10 shots and basically it was a nightmare - spent more time unclogging the thing than firing nails.
My local hardware shop where I bought it had had similar complaints from other customers and decided to pull it from their stock.

A

Tom
This might sound a bit arrogant but I would concentrate on the tools you will really need. If you want to bang in a few nails get a nicely balanced hammer. A good nail gun that won't have problems will be expensive and would only be worth while if you wanted to do things quickly or if the job is huge. Otherwise, take your time and spend your cash on things that will repay the investment.
I even remember when Norm used to knock pins in with a hammer!
Sorry to sound like a BOF or something!

SF

I used a rapesco gun to clad the inside walls of a friends shed.

It worked (just) - but was no good for doing much else. It oftem left the nails sticking out a bit (Between 2 and 10mm) and these I would then have to knock in with a hammer.

Personally, I would spend £20 or £30 on a decent hammer, will last you much longer than a rapesco nail gun would.

Tom,

It would be if you could buy it at the price its at now (£176+£55 carriage) but its still got over 5days to go. I would be surprised if its not up to £8-900 by the time it finishes. :x
Going by the GWW review it looks like a useable bit of kit, but looks a bit for you workshop :cry:

Hmm, I wonder what arrangements he made about copyright on that review... :?

Tom, I fear Dave is correct, and it'll probably rise considerably towards the end of the auction. But you never know, I s'pose.

Cheers, Alf

sawdustalley":d55hjx8y said:
...Personally, I would spend £20 or £30 on a decent hammer...

Call me "Mr Thickie" if you want, but what does a £30 hammer give you that you don't get from a £3 hammer ?

On precision tools I can see you get what you pay for (hmmm, Lie-Nielsen...), but a hammer is so simple I just don't see the benefit. This is without trying a £30 hammer, obviously.

Yours enquiringly,

Back