does this look any good to you guys????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think mainly you're paying extra for strength and anti-vibration. When you're doing a lot of hammering the anti-vibration makes a big difference (for me anyway).
I have a lovely old regular hammer that I use all the time - would probably cost £3 at a secondhand tool shop. I also have an Estwing at around £40. It's forged in one piece and so cannot break and it significantly reduces vibration. It's comfortable too, if you're using it for a long time.
So, that's where you're extra money is going!

A

Aragorn":muqc6wwt said:
I think mainly you're paying extra for strength and anti-vibration. When you're doing a lot of hammering the anti-vibration makes a big difference (for me anyway).
I have a lovely old regular hammer that I use all the time - would probably cost £3 at a secondhand tool shop. I also have an Estwing at around £40. It's forged in one piece and so cannot break and it significantly reduces vibration. It's comfortable too, if you're using it for a long time.
So, that's where you're extra money is going!

A

Anti-vibration - that's exactly why I want to get the Metabo duo to replace my Bosch PEX. I understand now - thanks A.

about the saw i was looking at.....
i emailed the guy but he said that i could have it for £950 because there is someone coming to look at it, as he is offering it for £999 somewhere else....... but i'm sure i saw one brand new from a website (cant remember it) for £999???
anywayz it would of probs been way too big for my workshop :cry: :cry:

never mind :p

Tom

cambournepete":3a6gpyqu said:
sawdustalley":3a6gpyqu said:
...Personally, I would spend £20 or £30 on a decent hammer...

Call me "Mr Thickie" if you want, but what does a £30 hammer give you that you don't get from a £3 hammer ?

What does it give you? Well, it can give you pretty dragons, or even (Buddha preserve us) gold plated pretty dragons... :shock:

And yes, they're about 30 quid.

Ooo, purty. :roll: Does the gold plating cut down vibrations too then? :D

Cheers, Alf

Thinking 3 quid's a bit steep for a hammer; 50p tops... :wink:

Rutlands have got one of those Lutz Maxxum thingys for £999.95 brand spanking new... and they've got the Tekna thingy for £30 quid less than Machine Mart.. but i never can remeber whether whether 'inc. VAT' means with or without... :oops:

jim

right ok then this is about the lutz thingy majig!!!
well its size means that there would be 500mm either side if the machine!
my workshop is 196cmx465cm so therefore if i put it in sideways or lengthways, ahh whatever you et the picture :p! do you reckon this would be enough room, i am seriously concidering this from rutlands!

heres a link BTW= http://www.rutlands.co.uk/cgi-bin/psPro ... 1,0,0,1|2|

any advice plz?!!! 8)

oh yeah i could also put it on casters so i can wheel it around the shop!!

but...ive just had a horrible thought.... :( what if i cant actually get it down there.....do you reckon it will come small enough so i can take it down the average stair width??

Cheers

Tom

Newbie_Neil":33uwxef0 said:
Inc Vat = GOOD :D

EXC Vat = BAD
NO Vat = Whooohooo!! :D

Tom, I reckon you need to do two things:
1. get on to Rutlands and see if this thing breaks down into managable bits - don't forget weight too!
2. make yourself a floor plan of your w'shop and a movable plan of the machine to scale and see what it actually looks like. Might help to make a few scale planks in likely sizes to see what sort of space you need for infeed and outfeed. I have a nasty feeling you might be in a spot of bother there. Don't forget to try it on the diagonal too, to see if that might help. From a safety point of view, if you don't have space round a machine to use it safely, don't get it.

Cheers, Alf

hi,
i sent them an email and i have made a scale version out of paper the size of it, it looks like its gonna be just fine aslong as i can wheel it around!

now lets hope they dont sell their last one within 3/4 weeks?! :s

Tom

Back