Does The Team Think?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this should be a regular feature in Good Woodworking?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice to see a good thread displayed in Good Woodworking magazine about UK Workshop forum.

Any plans to make this a regular feature in GWW?

move me if in wrong thread

Any plans to make this a regular feature in GWW?

Certainly for the time being the idea is for us (GW) to feature a useful thread from UKW (thanks to Charley for permission) in the mag's Q/A pages. It enables the mag to feature a wider range of views on a subject, rather than necessarily that of just a couple of mag 'experts' , and in return opens up UKW to more potential posters. A good trade-off I reckon.

Pete
GW

For those with super-slow snail mail, do you wish to elaborate? I've not seem my copy yet...

...and it always seems days later than everyone else...

Adam

Yes Adam, you are featured, well 6 words to be precise......
Dog, John Elliot, Waterhead37 and Dewy are the main cast.

Rgds

Noel

I've not seem my copy yet...

We deliberately single out your copy to go out late every month Adam :lol:

Pete Martin":1n3zgavu said:
I've not seem my copy yet...

We deliberately single out your copy to go out late every month Adam :lol:

Thought so.

Noely":1dab0k0j said:
Yes Adam, you are featured, well 6 words to be precise......
Dog, John Elliot, Waterhead37 and Dewy are the main cast.

Rgds

Noel

Go on then, let see the link to our star post-of-the-month!

Adam

Erm, Pete? Any chance of putting a few dot, dot, dots between "Does the team think" and the query? Or are you waiting for feedback to hear if the readers do believe we think or not... :roll: :lol:

Adam, the offending thread. Your comment is, of course, so like you. I feel a running joke in potentia there... :wink: My own off topic contribution has been ruthlessly cut. I'm gutted. :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Hmm Adam, your issue must be with mine! However SWMBO informs me that 'some wood work magazine thingy' arrived in the post this morning so fingers crossed its my issue of GWW :D

Steve
--------------
Thinking of interesting topics so he gets his name in the mag!

Alf":2tqg8vh6 said:
My own off topic contribution has been ruthlessly cut. I'm gutted. :cry:
You might have to get used to that, Alf :wink: :lol:

NeilCFD

Well mine hasn't arrived :( In fact no post - I think sometimes our postman just can't be bothered!

Cheers

Gidon

ps Are names included in the article? Should they be?

Strange my copy arrived at lunchtime!

Having looked at the article, I'm not sure I like the idea of anything we say here having the potential of being published in a magazine without any say. OK - Charley has said it's ok and I like the site getting publicity, but couldn't the GWW editor check on this newsgroup with the people contributing to the chosen thread that they are happy with their words of wisdom being published? I'm sure 90% of the time no-one will have a problem. But would be nice to be asked.

If I'm in a minority I guess I'll have to make very considered decisions on what threads I contribute to and what I say!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":1qp177kz said:
couldn't the GWW editor check on this newsgroup with the people contributing to the chosen thread that they are happy with their words of wisdom being published?
I wondered that too. But then it's out there in the public domain anyhow, isn't it? But it might be a nice courtesy, if Pete or Andy could find the time.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3l3ptd0o said:
But then it's out there in the public domain anyhow, isn't it?

I agree it's in the public domain - but it doesn't really belong to anyone - except maybe Charley - although doubt he feels that way. Here we can delete, edit and come back to posts - perhaps in defence! Once published it becomes GWW property in that it's one of the pages that sells their magazine.

Not sure - slightly tricky one. But I would certainly feel happier if GWW checked here first.

Cheers

Gidon

I'm not sure I like the idea of anything we say here having the potential of being published in a magazine without any say.

Gidon
When I discussed the idea with Charley, the idea was to enable GW readers to share in the considerable font of knowledge possessed by posters on UKW, and in so doing introduce them to the live nature of Forums, where more immediate answers can be found to specific problems than can be addressed by monthly magazines. This works to the benefit of all concerned in that it also increases the amount of knowledge available through UKW by GW readers visiting the site and contributing themselves to it.

I understand your concerns, but do rest assured that in selecting a thread to feature we would be looking for one that had plenty of purely technical woodworking advice and help, rather than a diatribe about whether Joe Blogg's table saw is any good, and we'd be careful to edit it so that the material published was purely helpful to that specific technical query, and not rants, off-target comments, etc. (As Alf has already discovered :D ) Anonymity would also be guaranteed in that only usernames would be used.

We could certainly contact everyone we hoped to feature in any future article ( if this was deemed necessary after various regulars make their views known) to check they were happy, though of course this slows the whole process down considerably and also could lead to a helpful thread being dropped just because one person was on holiday, etc. It would be a shame to drop the idea, as it was intended to bring the enjoyment of woodworking in all its forms to a wider range of people, which is I'm sure a sentiment echoed by most people here, and to help further the general woodworking aims of two very worthwhile institutions, namely GW and UKW.

Pete

Some of you will be wanting paid for your pearls of wisdom....
Personally I couldn't care less if somebody feels a need to reprint any drivel that I offload on a forum. It's in the public domain and if anybody feels that what they post in a forum isn't good enough for a wider audience then there is little point in posting in the first place. Perhaps it's a case of courtesy but somehow I don't think anybody is going to take the time and effort to contact every single poster in a particular thread. For me a quick snapshot of a discussion (or otherwise) from this site can only be a good thing.

Rgds

Noel

Ah well, what do I care anyway? If an drivel of mine makes it into print I shall immediately cancel my sub on the basis of dumbing down :lol:

Cheers, Alf

FWIW I'd be happy to see my comments in print (that's very unlikely though due to my skill level and experience). Another FWIW I only hide behind the cloak of an anonymous username because I do all my web browsing at work and if they found out how much time I spend online......

AndyP

I would be quite happy for my drivel to be printed - no need to ask permission Pete. I think if you type your pearls of wisdom in here then you are already putting it into the public domain. I suppose you could say that if you don't want people to read it then don't write it.. :shock:

Just my 2p

Andy

oh and remember to run the spellchecker if it's going to print..... :D

Same, here. If I ever have anything worthwhile to say, please feel free to use it.

Just a thought but is it possible to include a field on the users profile to allow them to opt out of having their pearls of wisdom lifted?

Back