Does PVA have a shelf life?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a hot Country - you probably don't get the formulations that are adversely affected by heat.
I haven’t talked about heat effecting glues, nobody has, it’s the cold that has been discussed. I am happy to try a little that has been subject to temperatures down to 4C for as long as needed. I don’t think a freezing test for PVA is useful as the general consensus is it’s not good for them (though I do keep my cyanoacrylate glue in the freezer and the opened lifespan is very long, years)

D4 contains no solvents and is water soluble. It does class it as a "hybrid resin" though, so isn't a normal PVA - PVAs are usually advertised as water resistant not waterproof. Brilliant stuff. 502 is fine as well, with a bit better open time.
that is what is claimed, however isopropanol is a constituent, the first listed on the MDS/SDS, and alcohol is a solvent so the claim is clearly economical of the truth.
84195F89-EB4B-4348-9363-183B94B64102.jpeg

I am saying nothing about its quality as a glue and since alcohol and water are miscible it certainly can be water soluble.
That point however is that as you say it isn't a normal PVA so the pot life and other characteristics are likely to be different, so how is it relevant to the question of the thread?

The qualities of different glues are certainly an interesting topic though not really in this thread, don’t you agree?

Last edited:
probably not popular but I have used it way beyond the 2 years recommended more like 4 or 5 years and it still works just fine, I keep mine indoors in the warm which seems to help, I like the wudcare brand, just as good imo as titebond and much slower set time, much cheaper too.

I've had D4 from Screwfix go off, and discovered it has a date stamped on it, which had passed. Starts to go lumpy in the bottle, and glue joint is much weaker.

I haven’t talked about heat effecting glues, nobody has, it’s the cold that has been discussed.
That point however is that as you say it isn't a normal PVA so the pot life and other characteristics are likely to be different, so how is it relevant to the question of the thread?
The qualities of different glues are certainly an interesting topic though not really in this thread, don’t you agree?

Only in that to most people using it it's a PVA - technically it might not be be but it is treated as one. I was only thinking of heat problems because it it might limit the range of adhesives sold where you are.

Just an update re the scraps I glued together on Wednesday... no issue so I guess I'll be using it and just "paying attention" to how it looks coming from the container.

Only in that to most people using it it's a PVA - technically it might not be be but it is treated as one. I was only thinking of heat problems because it it might limit the range of adhesives sold where you are.
I have no idea why people would consider D4 to be a PVA, ignorance possibly?

It’s a glue, absolutely, it’s probably an excellent glue, it’s an alternative to tightbond 3, quite possibly better than TB3, but nowhere is it said to be a PVA. Sika doesn’t mentioned PVA in its literature.

you may call a Yugo a race car but that doesn’t make it one :ROFLMAO:.

Cascamite may be a closer relative to D3 than any PVA

D3 has a short pot life PVAs don’t it contains an alcohol solvent PVAs AFIK do not.

the biggest limitation to product availability is usually that the market may not have space for the product as there are locally made ones that do the job and that Sika hasn’t got a local production facility for that glue In Thailand.

an example is that Kia and Hyundai cars are virtually impossible to get here, Kia only sells 1 SUV and a minivan and Hyundai only sell its minivan just next door in Laos the cars are everywhere, probably about ⅓ of the market.

Just an update re the scraps I glued together on Wednesday... no issue so I guess I'll be using it and just "paying attention" to how it looks coming from the container.
Thanks that‘s useful to know, and that supports the possible extremely long pot life of a PVA.
Though I doubt that it’s like a good wine that gets better the older it gets :)

And… if I bought a gluebot dispenser, could you keep topping it up from a larger container and even mix manufacturers into it?

Rob

Here’s one to add to this… Is it possible to mix different manufacturers pva glue?
it depends on the PVA glues but yes absolutely I’ve done exactly that.
And… if I bought a gluebot dispenser, could you keep topping it up from a larger container and even mix manufacturers into it?
I have a couple of big gluebots and a couple of small ones and that is exactly how I use them. Though 1 of them has slightly thinned down glue in it.

Back