• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Does Lanoline Really Flatten Veneer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

I need to flatten some maple veneer. I have heard that lanolin will work to do this. What do you do with the lanolin, Spray it? wipe it? Any help would be great.

Garnet

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Garnet,

Dunno about lanolin - the usual recipes call for glycerin. The simplest being glycerin mixed in a 10% solution with water.

More exotic formulae suggest adding glue and alcohol to the mix.

The purpose of the glycerin as I understand it, is to act as a wetting agent, holding the water in the veneer long enough to allow it to be plasticized enough to flatten when pressed with weights. Personally, I have not found it makes a huge difference compared to plain water. I wet the veneer pretty thoroughly using a spray or brush, then depending on how buckled it is, put it between sheets of newspaper and then between melamine faced chipboard. After a couple of hours, I check on it. If it is now flat enough for the next stage, I change the paper for dry and then weight the MFC or put it all in my vacuum press for a few hours, changing the paper once more before finishing.

If need be, I repeat stage one first.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Garnet Foster":3mtsxaye said:
I need to flatten some maple veneer. I have heard that lanolin will work to do this. What do you do with the lanolin, Spray it? wipe it? Any help would be great.

Garnet
I am surprised to see lanolin referred to for use with wood to be bonded.

I do not know anything about handling veneers, but I have had experience of lanolin in a bonding environment.

Lanolin and bonding agents in general do not mix. Even the use of lanolin hand/face creams in a workshop was enough to prevent correct surface adhesion.

Lanolin can become airborne if the conditions are right and leave a contamination on all surfaces.

Remember it's source, it is the waterproofer on sheeps wool.

Shady

Established Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get the glycerin from the local chemist's - sold in bottles for medicinal purposes, IIRC...

Oh, and not to suggest anything ( :roll: ), but if you drop the concentrated stuff on the floor, it would probably leave a foul sticky mess... At that point, you might suddenly find a role for all that waste sawdust in your workshop: cover the mess with a big pile and leave it overnight - voila - mess removeable with dustpan/shopvac.

A

Anonymous

I have found that my local garage will take bags of sawdust, too. Soaks up oils spills a treat.

Latest posts