Does it go?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a wall sconce that I drew. Can't take credit for the design but I drew it so I could make one or more of these. Problem is the lamp shade. Does this one go with lamp? For an idea of the scale of the thing, the lamp shade is 10" across the bottom.

WallSconceSmall.jpg

And if you're having a difficult time seeing this, here's a link to a larger version of it: Wall Sconce

Honestly, I think that it is a bit too square when combined with the sconce. What are the shade materials, because that could well make a difference and soften the effect, which I think is a little too blocky.

Have a look at this link here:

http://www.jim-lawrence.co.uk/shop/main/items_lighting.cfm?m_parent=110

They make a variety of sconces and standard lamps, admittedly in metal but they also have a wide variety of shades in various materials which may give some alternative ideas if you want them. Its interesting that with the exception of one 1/2 shade, all the sconce shades are 'round'.

Don't know if thats any help.

Cheers

Tim

Sorry Dave, I'd have to agree with Tim and say that the shade doesn't go (IMHO). Too many straight lines and corners! :?

From the picture it looks to big to me as well. But I can't help thinking that seeing it in isolation may be misleading. How big a wall will it be mounted on? What colour will the wall be? Will there be any other objects in proximity?
To me all these things may have an affect on how it will look

Andy (did any of that make sense?)

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that picking shades, for any lamp, in any room, is one of the hardest things to get right. Walk into any lighting shop and there are usually hundreds to choose from, all out of context, and many of them are hideous. Or beautiful, depending on one's aesthestic tastes.

FWIW, Dave, I'd keep experimenting. But I could see that going very well indeed in, say, a Mackintosh room, like www.78derngate.org.uk

Cheers
Steve

I like it, think it looks nice. But as others have said, it all depends on the setting

Thanks for the comments all. I've scaled down the square shade and drawn a round one. Had to change my cool mica texture because it wouldn't work right on the round shade. Steve, thanks for that link, too. Looks interesting to me.
WallSconce2Small.jpg

Round definitely works better for me, but it would be interesting to see what both look like with shades that have no vertical strips.

Cheers

Tim

Hmm, I'm wondering if the "base plate" which clamps to the wall is too big? It looks very chunky and detracts from the nice arm.

Adam

I think - to be honest - you need more female input here.

We man are not the best wenn it comes to interior design. we are good in creating something, but wenn it comes to proportions and how it all fit together we better leave that part to a woman

So Gill what is your opinion on this

McLuma

Thanks for all the comments. I'm trying to digest them all.

Giving the sconces some context. I did get rid of the back piece of the wall plate. Keep in mind, I didn't design the sconce itself. I just drew it up. My apologies to those who dislike the square shades. These aren't a for sure thing but I kind of like the square ones. I am going to play with a more pyramidal shape, though.

The picture frame was drawn from a picture of a mirror frame I found on the net. I couldn't get a believable mirror look without running it through a rendering program or creating some additonal furniture which would bloat the file size. So I just inserted a Maxfield Parrish print.

The sideboard is based on plans for one I found on line.

sideboardandsconces.jpg

Dave

The square ones look better in context than in isolation. I still think that they would look better without the central spine if you are going to use square...

Cheers

Tim

Now that looks like a very nice combination,

Try to make the mirror a bit less square (more rectangular) Or try a setup in which the lights are part of the mirror frame, (that would also bring it all together).

Boy, i cannot wait to see that going into production - its going to look marvelous

McLuma

Like that, they look much more in keeping.

Adam

Mcluma":3e1rk9m1 said:
So Gill what is your opinion on this
I'm not the best person to comment because this isn't my sort of style. I prefer extremes; sleek and modern or detailed filigree, so my observations on a Mackintosh/Art Nouveau project are about as valid as those of a seagull choosing a dinner service.

Sorry :( .

Have you got an opinion, Alf?

Gill

Latest posts

Back