Does cheap dust extraction hose exist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone out there tried smooth internal wall pond tubing for flexible hosing? I cant help but think the lowered resistance would help with flow in a rigid pipe to machine connection.
Sam

Has anyone out there tried smooth internal wall pond tubing for flexible hosing? I cant help but think the lowered resistance would help with flow in a rigid pipe to machine connection.
Sam
Yes, but only 50mm diameter stuff for 10metre+ runs from the vacuum cleaner. It works great and is cheap and durable for that but it's quite stiff and hard to handle. It won't make a tight bend.
Never seen it in larger diameters.

I don't rate the really cheap flexible stuff off ebay. The spiral in mine is rusting from damp in the air pulled through it within a few weeks of purchase.
Spend a little more and get the version with a plastic coated wire coil. There's a quality manufacturer uses blue coated wire that is far better than the cheap stuff.
Use one length of flex for now and re-use it to make (short) final connections to your machines once you settle on a layout and get some rigid pipe runs installed.

That was my plan. Get a length to use temporarily now, and not cut it up, so it can then be used properly when evreything is sorted.

Do you have links to the stuff you both do, and don't like, to guide my purchase?

Thank you.

Yes, but only 50mm diameter stuff for 10metre+ runs from the vacuum cleaner. It works great and is cheap and durable for that but it's quite stiff and hard to handle. It won't make a tight bend.
Never seen it in larger diameters.

Thanks Sideways, that's what I thought. I am considering using short runs (well under 2m) as terminations from fixed, larger bore, soil pipes down to the likes of a bandsaw, drill press and a large router. I am also thinking of 'gang' installations, where two pond pipes from one 'Master' soil pipe serve one machine, to alleviate the problem of pipe cross-sectional area reduction, from 100mm soil pipe to 50mm pond pipe (I think I've seen 63mm or 68mm incidentally).

Spanish castles presently.

Sam

EDIT: nearly right, but you'd need to be related to Croesus....: Vacuum Suction Pressure Hose Spiral Hose Suction Hose Heavy Finish | eBay

Last edited:
Soil pipe for fixed sections, dust spares hose for the flexible connections. Or... when you’re having an environmental chamber installed at work, bring the installers some biscuits and have a chat, I did and I’ve got enough hose for all my needs and spare, I think it was chocolate hobnobs it cost me, 3 packets mind

Aidan

So, a 10 length of hose turned up from dustspares today.

It's much lighter weight than I was expecting (I don't think it will last more than about 10 mins getting dragged around a concrete floor before it wares through)

I measured up and my distance was right on the border of the 6m pack, so I got the 10m length, in case...

10m hardly reaches as it's wanting to pull back on itself all the time, so the smaller length would have been difficult.

The ends, where it's been cut, are going to tare away down the spiral, unless I fit a rigid adapter.

So, what I need now is a plastic part that is 100mm OD on one end (to go into the hose) and 100mm ID on the other to swap between ports. Does such a thing exist?

I'm disappointed with the hose. Not terribly so, but I just don't think it will last. And for £80 I was expecting somthing that would not need protection from lying on the floor.

So, a 10 length of hose turned up from dustspares today.

It's much lighter weight than I was expecting (I don't think it will last more than about 10 mins getting dragged around a concrete floor before it wares through)

I measured up and my distance was right on the border of the 6m pack, so I got the 10m length, in case...

10m hardly reaches as it's wanting to pull back on itself all the time, so the smaller length would have been difficult.

The ends, where it's been cut, are going to tare away down the spiral, unless I fit a rigid adapter.

So, what I need now is a plastic part that is 100mm OD on one end (to go into the hose) and 100mm ID on the other to swap between ports. Does such a thing exist?

I'm disappointed with the hose. Not terribly so, but I just don't think it will last. And for £80 I was expecting somthing that would not need protection from lying on the floor.

What did you buy? I’ve had their stuff and it’s fine, can you post a picture?

Aidan

There are different weights of hose, you’d be amazed what you can pay for the stuff. I’ve only seen really bad stuff actually tear, even with a lot of abuse, that looks like soft PU so it should be fine. It should really be used (as mentioned) for minimal short lengths as it causes a lot of turbulence leading to dropout, leading to blockages. I’ll have a look tomorrow in case I’ve something lying around for an adaptor for you, if you hoard enough ducting parts there’s usually something that works...or you can glue a stop of rubber on the inside / outside of something that almost fits...

Its not like its rubbish or anything, but its very much an item that ill have to pay attention to such that it does not get damaged.

I would say its fine for use tied up to walls, and coming down to machines, but not for running across floors to machines. Or basically anywhere where it gets movement resulting in abrasion.

I mean maybe that's its sole intended use, and I'm in error wanting anything more from it!

There are different weights of hose, you’d be amazed what you can pay for the stuff. I’ve only seen really bad stuff actually tear, even with a lot of abuse, that looks like soft PU so it should be fine. It should really be used (as mentioned) for minimal short lengths as it causes a lot of turbulence leading to dropout, leading to blockages. I’ll have a look tomorrow in case I’ve something lying around for an adaptor for you, if you hoard enough ducting parts there’s usually something that works...or you can glue a stop of rubber on the inside / outside of something that almost fits...

Thank you.

I have, on the end of the hose that came second hand with my thicknesser and extractor, this -

adapter.jpg

I took a photo as i wanted to come in and google the brand / part number.

I thought id be taken to axmister or the like....

It seems to be part of a soil pipe fitting for taking off the ubends of toilets (which i think are smaller than soil pipe).

I, and the kits previous owner, have been using it to slot over the 100mm dust port of my Axminster 106PT . I mean, apart from the gaffa tape, id always assumed it was just an Axminister part, but seemingly the previous owner fitted it.

Im going to have a better look at it tomorrow, and see how well it fits the wadkin port.

I don't bother with a plastic end on the hose, I just slip the hose over the port on the machine.

I don't bother with a plastic end on the hose, I just slip the hose over the port on the machine.

Yeah, thats fine for permeant installs, but I don't think this hose will last if I keep taking it on and off like that.

I have that same hose, no problems with it but it’s not made for mobile applications, if you want hose that’s made for dragging over the floor etc you need something far heavier and much more expensive. For plugging into machines and handling it’s done fine for the last couple of years for me, albeit light use
Aidan

Back