Does cheap dust extraction hose exist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
My extractor is in another room from my table saw. I figured I'd just get a load of flexible hose from Axminster, and then I saw the price...

I'm pretty sure my extractor is one of these -

61cwJv5vg0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

At present it's just connected to the thickenesser, with some grey flexible stuff that almost looks like plastisised cloth (came with the second hand extractor)

Does such a thing as cheap hose exist?

My table saw is a wadkin ags10. I have the factory metal box thing that covers the motor with a (I assume) 4" port.

I'm wondering if just sucking from this point with the extractor would give me the results I'm hoping for, or if I'd need one of those crown guards with the port on that also?

...but first, I obviously need to accquire some hose!

Thank you!

You will be better off using rigid pipe as much as you can as your airflow will be greatly reduced using all flex hose. The rigid stuff is way cheaper as well . I use a crown guard with extraction on my Wadkin AGS and I would say its well worth it!

You will be better off using rigid pipe as much as you can as your airflow will be greatly reduced using all flex hose. The rigid stuff is way cheaper as well . I use a crown guard with extraction on my Wadkin AGS and I would say its well worth it!

I'm waiting on a new workshop being finished up, so installing rigid tubing would probably be a waste of time right now. I understand what you're saying but it would be nice to just get somthing on there now.

What crown guard do you have? I see reddish ones on eBay for about £30, or fancy American ones for more like £100!

And do you have extraction from below the blade also?

Thank you
Julian

Not very robust as only designed to extract whiffy air not air with chunks of wood in it...

I use it and it actually works surprisingly well for me. The OP was looking for something cheap. The Manrose ducting is cheap, so might be suitable. I have it connected to my band saw and two other saws. I hasn't collapsed, punctured or any problems like that, so for a quick cheap fix, it might be suitable. I have also used it as a large diameter vacuum hose to pick up shavings and other rubbish from the floor. I also use Manrose rigid pipe Manrose 100mm Round Pipe 0.35m and connectors and Y pieces, so you can build very effective dust extraction quite cheap. I use the flexible pipe to drop down from the ceiling ducting to the machines. I make my own ceiling clamps to hold it.

I figured the Screwfix stuff always went after the motor, not before it - ie always worked at positive, not negative pressure.

...so I assumed it would just collapse.

But if sandyn says it works, then I might give it a go... Especially as I even have some currently (it is, however, very battered, but if it shows promise, I'll buy some more)

As for proper stuff, I found this also -

https://www.dustspares.co.uk/flexible-ducting/flexible-ducting-10-metres.html
Which looks to be slightly cheaper than the charnwood stuff. I don't know how the quality would match up though.

Thanks to all.

.. it actually works surprisingly well for me. I use Manrose rigid pipe Manrose 100mm Round Pipe 0.35m and connectors and Y pieces..
I stand corrected and thinking about it, I've got some of their rigid bits too
...so I assumed it would just collapse.
https://www.dustspares.co.uk/flexible-ducting/flexible-ducting-10-metres.htmlWhich looks to be slightly cheaper than the charnwood stuff. I don't know how the quality would match up though.
as did I but you know what they say about assumptions...dustspare stuff looks pretty good so even though Charnwood are fairly local to me I think I'll give them a punt for the next bit I order..

you can buy it at yandles per metre. im still trying to get back on my chair over £40 for a Y reducer at dustspares

I use the PVC (tumble drier or extractor fan hose essentially) for my "portable" connections and it works fine for me.

i tried a load of this on my first setup and it ‘seemed’ to be fine. It wasn’t until I started changing certain runs for smooth drainage pipe that I noticed the vast amount of tiny perished holes within it.
I suppose its a very cheap solution for a temporary set up that should last for a short period (can’t define short). Cheap enough to replace in worse case though.

I use a 1hp Rexon dust extractor which, I think is about 500cfm, but not what I would call high vacuum. I use the manrose solid pipe across the ceiling, then the flexible down to the machines. If I seal all ends, the hose tries to contract length wise, but so far, hasn't collapsed. I'm not sure what would happen in a high vacuum situation. I'll try a wee experiment later to see!

I experimented with this a bit. When I used flexible hose I found that it was prone to having dead spots where the dust collected. It worked OK for about a year though whilst I kept fiddling about with my workshop. I eventually switched to clear rigid hose with each machine gated off. I just use flex for fiddly connections at the end of a run. I use a 3hp cyclone extractor and this is much better now I have mainly rigid hose. Unfortunately I still have to use flexible hose on the PT because it's necessary for me to move it but that is probably the worst machine to extract and produces by far the most waste.

Friend of mine did his entire workshop with soil drainage pipe. Was super cheap and works brilliantly.

+1 for underground drainage pipe.

6 m for less than £20

You can also get sweeping bends called rest bends for smooth airflow.

This is what I have used in my workshop. It works brilliantly.

And 100mm flexible hose at £45 for 6 m from the ventilation centre . Hooked up with (toilet) pan connectors about £5 each

Rutlands grey 4" hose is not too bad and cheap when it's on offer, which is quite often.

I use the Dust Spares hose & it’s very good quality they do it in 6 metre lengths if the 10 previously linked to is too much. Flexible Ducting - 6 Metres
I too have plenty of it in 50, 80 and 100mm sizes. Very good, nice and thick wall.

Not made my mind up yet on what I'm doing about hardline ducting though. The machine I have wants more than 100mm can give it.

I use a 1hp Rexon dust extractor which, I think is about 500cfm, but not what I would call high vacuum. I use the manrose solid pipe across the ceiling, then the flexible down to the machines. If I seal all ends, the hose tries to contract length wise, but so far, hasn't collapsed. I'm not sure what would happen in a high vacuum situation. I'll try a wee experiment later to see!

So I got a bit of flexible manrose pipe, blocked one end completely and connected a vacuum cleaner to the other end. The pipe did flatten at one end, like a flattened spring, but regained it's shape when the pressure equalised, so if you have a high vacuum extractor, it possibly would be a problem. I also think that, as Lard said, it would suffer from wear after an amount of usage. I've had my setup for about a year and so far, it's OK.

I don't rate the really cheap flexible stuff off ebay. The spiral in mine is rusting from damp in the air pulled through it within a few weeks of purchase.
Spend a little more and get the version with a plastic coated wire coil. There's a quality manufacturer uses blue coated wire that is far better than the cheap stuff.
Use one length of flex for now and re-use it to make (short) final connections to your machines once you settle on a layout and get some rigid pipe runs installed.

Back