Does Builder need permission to connect new house to sewer on my land?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In England the rules about maintaining drains changed a few years ago. Up until the change householders were responsible for drains up to where they joined the main sewer. If 2 houses 'joined' before that, there was scope for dispute. Now it's clear, the drainage provider (normally same as water company, but here in Cambridge its split - Cambridge Water supply, Anglian remove) is responsible from wherever 2 or more houses 'join' regardless of where that is. Where I live, 2 houses join under a manhole cover on the drive of one of them, each householder has to deal with any issues on 'their side' of that, but the long stretch beyond that is Anglian Water's responsibility.

The OP should find that any future issues from his manhole onwards now become the drainage providers responsibility, so he may have less to worry about than he does now. If the 5 new houses join into a single drain before it goes under his land, the whole lot is the drainage authorities responsibility apart from the short stretch from his house to the manhole - normally easily d.i.y. rodded if the rodding covers are in the right place.

Our house was built mid 80's along with 2 others and 2 refurbished cottages. There are 3 key manhole covers/junctions, each on someone's property. The deeds mirror one another and are clear - each of us and the original landowner (although its all freehold) have right of access with notice, access not to be unreasonably refused. To my mind I could reasonably ask that the garden is reinstated or that jack hammers aren't used at 4am, but if I say 'unless you pay me ££££' that would be unreasonable. There is a sub clause for no-notice access in an emergency, so if we were ankle deep in poop we can just get on with it. In practice we all get on and its never an issue. I own drain rods and have a map of all the drains so we help each other and call in Anglian Water if its 'downstream'. Its all flat around here and the fall is a bit marginal.

Key to all of this is what the deeds actually say. If the OP doesn't have a copy they can be purchased from the land registry or maybe the mortgage holder if you have a mortgage will have a set (they used to, I suspect its all electronic now). If you look for land registry make sure its a .gov, there are impostors who top the list in google searches.

It's also worth re-visiting the planning portal. The water/drainage authority is a statutory consultee. If you look under consultations, or sometimes under documents tab - you need to dig - you might find their response to original and changed plans. It might be anodyne or it might tell you something. If there is nothing there you can email the planning officer and ask where it is.

I suspect older properties have nothing in the deeds, very new ones probably give the developer and his dog the right to access any time on any particular whim and dig up your living room floor if they so choose (modern big estates are built for the benefit of the builders not the owners). Ours as described above is a half way house.

If the deeds do give you right to refuse then there is the 'ransom strip' thinking which depends on your personal values - there is no 'right & wrong'. In our village a local charity is trying to build 8 affordable (in perpetuity, local exemption scheme) social rent houses, not as part of a commercial development, and if they needed access to my garden I wouldn't dream of asking anything more than that they re-instate. If it were Berkley homes I would get what I could and give it to the housing charity!

So - find the deeds, find the consultation comments on the planning portal. Just in case they start digging, take a few photos (on some cameras and phones you can set 'date stamp' on) so you have a starting point if they leave a mess.

If you want to get angry about the whole state of the housing market (where prices are set by what people can pay/borrow, not cost +) look at the annual report of the big house builders. Tot up the total pay, bonus and share options of the Directors and divide by the number of houses they delivered. In many cases every first time buyer is paying a lot (4 figures +) just for that, let alone shareholder profit. How the boss of Berkeley managed to cash £23 million in share options in one year a couple of years ago when they build fewer than 10,000 houses defeats me. But that's another topic altogether.

Ok chaps, I have just spoken with the builder and looks like all is fine, in fact I'm feeling slightly embarrassed now for starting this thread 🥵

Turns out they came across a pipe which connected to my chamber, they think it probably came from an old toilet block or something which is long gone, as said I live in a Victorian School and part of the development is on what would have been the grounds. Obviously the pipe ran towards my chamber which is why the new trench does, they replaced the pipe right up to my boundary because of how the new houses run in to it. The pipe has had a camera down and has all been approved. As said the chamber is big so I presume it will be able to accommodate the extra, the builder tells me you can have up to ten houses going in to a single 4" pipe!

To everyone who responded thank you for your time, sorry it was wasted, I have learnt a lot though and hopefully it maybe useful to someone in future.

Doug

Ok chaps, I have just spoken with the builder and looks like all is fine, in fact I'm feeling slightly embarrassed now for starting this thread 🥵

Turns out they came across a pipe which connected to my chamber, they think it probably came from an old toilet block or something which is long gone, as said I live in a Victorian School and part of the development is on what would have been the grounds. Obviously the pipe ran towards my chamber which is why the new trench does, they replaced the pipe right up to my boundary because of how the new houses run in to it. The pipe has had a camera down and has all been approved. As said the chamber is big so I presume it will be able to accommodate the extra, the builder tells me you can have up to ten houses going in to a single 4" pipe!

To everyone who responded thank you for your time, sorry it was wasted, I have learnt a lot though and hopefully it maybe useful to someone in future.

Doug

I would get some legal advice to see if there are any rights of drainage across your property. The existence of a pipe does not mean that the right exists. If there are any issues in the future its your property that will be dug up/flooded with sewage. Has the utility company accepted ownership of the pipe across your property? From my past experience there needs to be an easement in place.

happy to accept free money from the government which will have to be paid back by us the taxpayers and all the while complaining that everyone will suffer financially. If that person had the morals he insists he has he wouldn't have taken those £thousands :sneaky:.

Well if you are old you won't be paying it back, you will be dead, I on the other hand will be paying it back for the rest of my life so you can be darn sure I accepted the money the government was handing out, do you think I would have got a tax break if I refused? I think not.
Do you refuse the money the government gives to you in the form of winter fuel allowance ( or will you if you are not old enough for it yet) or a free bus pass? No, I think you will use the argument "I paid for it so I will take it". Well I have/will pay for it, so I will take it.

I would get some legal advice to see if there are any rights of drainage across your property. The existence of a pipe does not mean that the right exists. If there are any issues in the future its your property that will be dug up/flooded with sewage. Has the utility company accepted ownership of the pipe across your property? From my past experience there needs to be an easement in place.

I have spoken with Yorkshire water about it all and am awaiting a call back from them within the next 24hrs :sleep:, the builder did say it was classed as a public sewer and is Yorkshire Waters responsibility.

Doug
Pleased to know you have enquired and put your mind at rest
John

Well if you are old you won't be paying it back, you will be dead, I on the other hand will be paying it back for the rest of my life so you can be darn sure I accepted the money the government was handing out, do you think I would have got a tax break if I refused? I think not.
Do you refuse the money the government gives to you in the form of winter fuel allowance ( or will you if you are not old enough for it yet) or a free bus pass? No, I think you will use the argument "I paid for it so I will take it". Well I have/will pay for it, so I will take it.
I am 66, and I reckon I spent much of my working life paying for war debts. Assuming you are really the age that you say you are, I have also been paying for your education (apparently wasted) and your health care. My current taxes are nearly up to higher rate even though I have been retired for 4 years.

I am 66, and I reckon I spent much of my working life paying for war debts. Assuming you are really the age that you say you are, I have also been paying for your education (apparently wasted) and your health care. My current taxes are nearly up to higher rate even though I have been retired for 4 years.

Thank you for your contributions, you must be enjoying a very nice pension. Tell me, will you refuse winter fuel allowance or a free bus pass as @Lons obviously will be/has done?

Thank you for your contributions, you must be enjoying a very nice pension. Tell me, will you refuse winter fuel allowance or a free bus pass as @Lons obviously will be/has done?
My pension was achieved by hard work and frugal lifestyle.
never bothered with a bus pass. You are unlikely to believe this, but my fuel allowance money is donated to a local children’s hospice where I do voluntary work.

My pension was achieved by hard work and frugal lifestyle.
never bothered with a bus pass. You are unlikely to believe this, but my fuel allowance money is donated to a local children’s hospice where I do voluntarily work.

I have not reason not to believe you so I will certainly take you at your word.

Exactly.
The same estate I mentioned needed entrance access across parish council land from the main road and they got £260,000 from the developers for that ransom strip.
Seen it many times,When i was a kid a certain super market bought a whole street up to gain planning for a new store but the local undertaker held out and they ended up build him a massive 6 bedroom house for a little 2 up 2 down and a pile on money. Its called business.

While I agree that there should be both permission and fair compensation for access to land I think holding the developer to ransom is morally wrong and you should be ashamed of profiteering like that.

Absolute rubbish, the builder should have done his homework and had this potential problem sorted before he started to develop, not rely on the goodwill of a neighbour to connect on the cheap.
You really do like stirring debates up.

Absolute rubbish, the builder should have done his homework and had this potential problem sorted before he started to develop, not rely on the goodwill of a neighbour to connect on the cheap.
You really do like stirring debates up.

You have (purposely?) misconstrued what I said there. What I said applies in any situation, not just one where the developer made a mistake.

£10k to us will have been gleefully signed away by a developer for that kind of thing. It's peanuts to them.

Wimpy for one example had pre tax profit in 2018 of £810m on the sale of 15,250 homes. £53k profit per house. Persimmon made £66k profit per house in the same year. This is after they have paid their cowboys contractors who have also all made their own profit.

Wimpy alone have about 170,000 plots in their land bank. In April last year the big 3 wre sitting on 800,000 plots.

what if the OP had wanted to remove the up to now unused length of pipe from his boundary to the chamber. the builder should still have to pay for access to that pipe

Looks though there may be a reason to look at your deeds to see if a "Way leave" exists that allows access for maintenance or connections into the drainage system by the local authority.

I can’t help thinking that the builder/contractor knows more about what’s going on than the OP. Surely they’re not waiting at the other side of the fence ready to run a pipe in when no one’s looking. I’ve a feeling they know what’s possible and the OP is going to be powerless to stop it.
If they haven’t got any rights then screw them for every penny and don’t feel guilty for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back