Does anywhere in UK sell these type of hold down clamps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

after much googling i cannot seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells these type of clamps.
g9589-58f3497e0473f92dc65c44ce430c4128.jpg

Grizzly seem to have discontinued them. Pony make one but it doesnt appear they have a distributor in the UK

I was surprised by this.
I don't remember ever seeing one of these clamps in the flesh but I've seen them in pictures enough times to think it would be easy to find.
Neither Dieter Schmidt or Dictum carry them either.

There are lots of alternatives if you can stick a 20mm hiole through whatever you're fastening to.
Bessey / Festool track clamp with the fixed jap through the hole and adjuster above the table
Traditional holdfast or the Veritas screwed version
Bessey table clamps - there are at least 3 versions with different clamping handles including this :
bessey-spannelement-317461a.jpg

Or probably more than one toggle clamp to achieve the same level of grip

And a quick ebay search for hold down clamp turned up the Pony one for 30 quid ...
s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• bessey-spannelement-317461a.jpg
    bessey-spannelement-317461a.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 886
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 856
I'm sure l've seen them in Axminster in the last 6 months. Can't see them on their website, but might be worth a look if you can get to a branch, they were displayed close to the vises.

Incase they still sell it, the" Axminster hold down clamp" in ye olde catalogue was item number 610364
It doesn't come up if typed into the search engine though :cry:

Might be worth a shot e-mailing them.
It cost just over a tenner at time of print.

Is the application you want it for a fixed installation fezman? If not there are numerous alternatives as Sideways says, many of which are much faster to set and move, and work with dog holes of standard sizes that have any number of other potential uses.

fezman":3mli5pdl said:
Hi All,

after much googling i cannot seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells these type of clamps.
g9589-58f3497e0473f92dc65c44ce430c4128.jpg

Grizzly seem to have discontinued them. Pony make one but it doesnt appear they have a distributor in the UK

I must ask to what purpose do you plan to use these clamps?

I purchased a pair locally, which were of Chinese origin. They were cheapish, and I should have known better. The base on both was so out-of-flat that they were unusable without a huge amount of work.

I had purchased them for a morticing jig, a design from FWW magazine.

In the end I used microfit clamps by MatchFit. These are help in a sliding dovetail. Perfect!

1a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Morning (or afternoon) Derek,

Exactly the same purpose. I am planning to either make the same jig for morticing or use my router table - haven't decided which yet. But those dovetail clamps look much more versatile - thanks for pointing those out.

Ian

Thanks again Derek,

Clamps ordered - so I will hopefully be putting this together over the next few days or so.

Ian

Back