Does anyone recognise this type of bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these today for just £50.00 and would like to know what model it is and if anyone has one or has any experience in using them?

It’s a Startrite single phase and when it was switched on today it ran very smooth and quiet. It’s attached to a heavy base.

Attachments

• 3FE7E39B-18F7-4C61-AB18-3121CB52FF04.jpeg
    3FE7E39B-18F7-4C61-AB18-3121CB52FF04.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 310
I've seen one of these before but I have no idea what the model is, It looks like a smaller Startrite Volant.

Startrite made good bandsaws, both metalworking, and woodworking. Does it have a gearbox or is it belt driven?

I did a Google’s on Startrite sand saw their Golent, but it’s not the one although its similar.

Fingers crossed, someone who has or had one will get in touch.

Thanks Mock and Sunny Bob.

I’m collecting it tomorrow so will have a further look for the data’s tag. I’m hoping there’s one on it that I couldn’t see yesterday as the ones on the front just had its serial number.

If the tag says startrite and has a serial number, then I'm pretty sure you could trace it from that.

very often the serial will start with a few letters that denote the model.

I used to have one. I think it was called a Capitol? The main thing that drove me mad about it was that the blade would often jump off the wheels. Whether this was a fault with the model or with that particular machine I don't know. I never found a way of curing it and eventually sold it to a local builder and bought a Minimax instead.
Positives were the large throat and good depth of cut.

Here's a catalogue entry:

Attachments

• Startrite catalogue.jpg
    Startrite catalogue.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 65
MilesH":12tlrgvw said:
Here's a catalogue entry:

Interesting! I've never seen a Startrite Crosscut saw, must be rare as hen's teeth.

I've definitely seen those 8" table saws branded as Tyzack and Sons as well, maybe they were outsourced for them? Unless they're just very similar looking.

Im19580829ICB-Tyzack_S.jpg

This one of course is the 10" model.

Trevanion":2gftujkt said:
Unless they're just very similar looking.
I think that's probably the case here. The rise and fall handwheel is on the base for the one in the Startrite catalogue. That seems quite a significant design difference....

Latest posts

Back