Does anyone recognise this lathe model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heluvaname

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm helping set up a Men's Shed project, for a small charity on a very limited budget, and we've been offered this lathe.

I think the lady said it was an NCL1000, but that may not be exactly right.
She says it is variable speed with a 3Hp single phase motor and weighs 90kg.

There is also some form of fairly large attachment that fits on it.

Sorry for the vagueness but that's all the info I have, and I wondered whether anyone recognises it, and could shed any more info on it (and whether it is suitable)?

Many thanks, Ian

Attachments

• Wood Lathe qNCL1000.jpg
    Wood Lathe qNCL1000.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 232
If it works and is electrically safe then it's suitable! 3hp is substantial as generally only the bigger lathes have motors with that power output. I doubt if the lathe is variable speed but that doesn't exclude it from use as long as those using it are supervised by someone who understands appropriate lathe speeds.

Thanks Paul, that confirms my thoughts.

Do you, or anyone else, recognise the make and model, as a google for NCL 1000 doesn't seem to bring up anything specific, so I'm guessing that might not be the right model number.

Looking at that electrical cover on the motor, single screw and hooked at the other end? I would say it is seventies or eighties, maybe older but a nice solid bit of kit that you would find hard to find today.

3hp sounds a lot for that size lathe, My Wadkin RS has only 1.5 hp motor!! It does look a very basic lathe and not too well made, but if its free and a starter lathe then yes go for it !

Almost certain that motor is 1hp at the most. Even if it is 3-phase, it's small for that rating. Could you get a photo from the other side, which would tell us more? Even if it's free, if it's non-standard nose thread, difficult to change speed etc., it may actually put off your members from turning. So I would advise caution.

Back