does anyone own an Axminster AW106PT Planer/Thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these (not from Axminster but an identical machine from Lyndurst Machines) and have not used it much yet so my views are really based on just a few smallish tasks.

It needs setting up - the planer tables on mine were not accurately set when I first used it, but there are lots of bolts to allow adjustments (perhaps too many!). The fence is buck awful - it was cupped - but that seems to be a problem with all of these planer/thicknessers. I have been thinking about making a cast iron fence. The thicknesser is accurate and is factory set anyway.

Would I buy it again? Perhaps, but I'm not sure about using Lyndhurst - they didn't reply to a couple of emails about the fence. I am also not sure whether some companies get 'better' machines (closer to spec) to sell.

Philip

Nick, I went through the quandry of choosing a P/T 2 months ago - got it down to either the Axminster or a Record Power PT260.

Went for the RP. Same price (£500), lighter (easier to move around garage), bigger motor, 5 year warrantee, decent comms with RP.

RP fence is awful. They acknowledge this and have promised an upgrade. Got the wheel kit - not the best but good enough. Niceportable accurate unit (once its set up)

Hope this helps.

Oh - haggle. You should get the wheel kit and a dust collector as a deal.

Back