Does anyone know who might supply table sliders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EightBySix

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My sliding leaf coffee table project is coming along, to the point I'm making the top.

I nipped into a furniture shop to look at finishes and other details and noticed some have some handy slide mechanisms, that allow you to pull one end, and the other end opens at the same time.

I knew about this feature on some tables, and was planning to buy a set of these'equalizer slides':
29611.jpg

The ones in the shop though were better because they incorporated the table top support with the opening mechanism.
Closest I found on the web were these:
extending-table-runner-750-tp_5027575858278528385b.jpg

But they dont have the pully/wire system within them, so they look like they dont have the balanced opening mechanism.

Does anyone know of a supplier?

I'm having difficulty visualising this type of draw-leaf table.
If one end operates automatically as you draw out the other leaf, there must be a folding section in the middle; otherwise there'd be a big 'ole in the middle. :? If someone could point me to a source of plans, I would be grateful.

Many thanks.

John :)

Benchwayze":kat0n175 said:
If one end operates automatically as you draw out the other leaf, there must be a folding section in the middle; otherwise there'd be a big 'ole in the middle. :? If someone could point me to a source of plans, I would be grateful.

Many thanks.

Have a look for the table Robert made and wrote up on the Haven. It has such a folding section.

Bob

9fingers":1zp8sjnk said:
Benchwayze":1zp8sjnk said:

Many thanks.

Have a look for the table Robert made and wrote up on the Haven. It has such a folding section.

Bob

Cheers Bob.
I'm off into the shop right now, but I'll check later!
regards and Happy Gnu Year :) .

John :D

Benchwayze":1fei6o6t said:
otherwise there'd be a big 'ole in the middle.

While I've seen some with an automatically-folding section in the middle, it's possibly also worth noting that my parents' dining room table is precisely like this.

You pull one leaf out, the other extends at the same time and leaves a big hole; in that hole, underneath the table surface, there's a storage area for two panels which you can lift out and place in between the two leaves, and then you push the leaves back together and locking pins and under-table clips hold everything in place.

Thanks Jake...

Yes I know that design.
I am also familiar with, and like, the 1930s style of oaken, draw leaf table. Big and square, with leaves that slide under the main top. You need to lift the main top as you move the leaves, so they are a bit 'finger-trappy' if you're careless. My daughter has one she reclaimed, and it's as solid and useable as the day it was made. If I made one of those, I would dispense with the turned legs usually found on them, and instead of the diagonal bracing, I might try an adapted 'Hayrake' stretcher.

But I still yearn to make a free-standing Hayrake dining table. I have the space so I might as well have what I like.

Back