Does anyone know what this tool is called ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonehead

Reaction score
Hi Guys n gals,

I want to buy some of these clamps but I can't find them anywhere and I don't know if there is any special name for them ?

So... does anyone know what they are called and where I can buy them in the UK

I have a photo but as I am new I can't post it :evil: :evil:

Basically they are 2 clamps that run along on a scaffold bar, not as big as a scaffold bar more or less the thickness of broom handels.

Thanks all in advance

Axi only sell one style of pipe clamp but you can get several others. Mine are all the original Jorgenson "Pony" clamps either the regular No 50 which are liek the Axi ones or the long reach No 56 ones which come in handy if you need to clamp in two directions as one clamp reaches over the other. You can also spread with the No 56.

As I said in the other thread the ones that use 1/2" pipe flex a lot.

Adjustable Clamp Co make them

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/pipeclamps.aspx

J

Thanks for that Jason, my next question was where they hell do I get them, they only seem to be in the USA is there any reason why they are not popular on this side of the pond ?

Also is there anywhere in the UK that sock them, first link is out of stock.

I want to use them to make large butchers blocks 4cm thick , which one would you recommend ?

Cheers

Steve

You could expand your search to t bar clamps and sash clamps which will be stronger and may be more appropriate for your use.

I said Axi only do one style of pipe clamp but may have mislead you, I thought Axi had stopped doing the genuine Pony clamps and only did their own far eastern copies. I got mine from Toolbay but they are out of business now, Brimarc used to do some of the others but now they are part of Axi have stopped doing them

These will be fine

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pony-pony-no ... prod20335/

The No 50 give a lot more clamping force without distorting the 3/4" pipe and are the ones I reach for 95% of teh time.

If you want the long reach ones then Dictum do them, although they are in Germany I usually get stuff from them withing a couple of days.

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/categor ... 2_3658.htm

J

jasonB":2ytdsbh1 said:
I said Axi only do one style of pipe clamp but may have mislead you, I thought Axi had stopped doing the genuine Pony clamps and only did their own far eastern copies. I got mine from Toolbay but they are out of business now, Brimarc used to do some of the others but now they are part of Axi have stopped doing them

These will be fine

http://www.axminster.co.uk/pony-pony-no ... prod20335/

The No 50 give a lot more clamping force without distorting the 3/4" pipe and are the ones I reach for 95% of teh time.

If you want the long reach ones then Dictum do them, although they are in Germany I usually get stuff from them withing a couple of days.

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/categor ... 2_3658.htm

J

Got to agree, the Pony 50s and 56s on 3/4 pipe are brilliant, especially the 56s and with the connectors I've clamped/spread anything up to 6 metres. Great value too.

In the interests of completeness, 3/4" = 19mm to within 0.05mm, so when you visit the plumbers merchant to pick up the pipe you may find it is labelled as 19mm but it's the same stuff - threaded on one end usually.

matthewwh":cuayn4v5 said:
In the interests of completeness, 3/4" = 19mm to within 0.05mm, so when you visit the plumbers merchant to pick up the pipe you may find it is labelled as 19mm but it's the same stuff - threaded on one end usually.

At the risk of being a pedantic PITA, it is not possible to buy 3/4" or 19.05mm outside diameter pipe. The closest choices are 3/8" nominal bore, which is 17mm o.d or 1/2" nominal bore which is 21mm o.d.

Both the U.K and U.S.A use nominal pipe sizes based on the nominal bore diameter.

As the Axminster website states, the clamps need 3/4" (incorrectly described as bore) pipe with 3/4" b.s.p. threads. A 3/4" b.s.p thread requires 3/4" nominal bore pipe, which always has an outside diameter of 27mm not 19mm, regardless of the inside bore and wall thickness.

In engineering, and I assume plumbing, 20mm is used as the rounded up equivalent when describing steel 3/4" pipe, but when when you are talking about copper pipe, it is 22mm.

Confusing isn't it.?

Flippin 'Murkins...!!!

Measurement of the actual object with a caliper reveals that anything under 27.5mm will go through the through hole and the internally threaded hole is 23mm across the insides of the threads.

Preliminary investigations suggest that 25mm o/d compressed air pipe or galv conduit may be suitable - waiting for a call back.

matthewwh":gfz3b0zp said:
Preliminary investigations suggest that 25mm o/d compressed air pipe or galv conduit may be suitable - waiting for a call back.

25mm O.D pipe is NOT suitable for a 3/4" B.S.P thread. You need a minimum outside diameter of 26.6mm.

I would like to thank Russell at Ask Tools who sorted my pony 50 pipe clamps and lengths out for me, arrived this morning, really pleased :) would recommend to anyone.

Cheers

Steve

Latest posts

Back