Does anyone have/know of green house plans?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to build my wife a long-awaited greenhouse from cedar and/or douglas fir and/or red wood.

Does anyone have any plans or experience with this kind of project?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Nick

Nick, just building myself one at the moment. It's 2400 long x 2100 but only 750mm wide as has to fit down the side of the house. As it's not totally seen then mine is made out of treated softwood with a darker stain over the top.

I made this up out of 5 frames for the main supports and then housed the horizontal timbers into place. I have a fence against the main wall so i'm making insulated panels upto fence hight to try and keep the warm in over winter and using 10mm poly sheets for the rest.

I'll take some pictures of the progress so far for you to see later this evening.

Andy

Snap - I'm building one too but somewhat smaller than Andy's in fact it is just a small lean-to.

The western red cedar that I have used is very easy to work but very soft, even the slightest knock seems to leave a disproportionately sized dent. This is also the first wood that I have used which seemed to give me any sort of respiratory problems when I neglected to use a dust mask. The workshop has smelt gorgeous though.

I am not glazing in the conventional way but using secondary glazing panels that hinge onto the outside of 4 frames that make up the sides front and back. The back is cedar shiplap. Each frame has M&T corner joints with angular bracing (screwed) for increased regidity. The frames are then coach bolted together.

Most uptodate picture
dryfit.jpg

Andy

I seem to recall Norm built one a few years back, check the New Yankee website for details (newyankee.com). Unfortunately I took the easy route and went for an aluminium one from B&Q. It was cheap, easy to put up and is easy to clean, but it is pretty ugly in comparrison to a nice wooden one.

Mark H

Hi Nick,

Keith Smith did a very detailed description of a greenhouse build in The Woodworker magazine a while ago. I haven't read it, but apparently it was an excellent article - see the relevant thread here. Maybe you could get a back issue?

Cheers,
Neil

Many thanks for your responses everyone,

I've been trying to find a web link for the magazine Neil mentioned, but can only get subscription sites. Does anyone have a contact for them?

Thanks, Nick :?:

Hi Nick,

Probably the best thing to do is to PM Keith himself (hope that link works, never tried to do a PM link before...)

Cheers,
Neil

Hi

I have a cd full of plans from houses to small sheds. I have searched through it for greenhouse plans. So far only found one. Maybe not quite what you are after, but might help.

I have slipped it in a .rar file and hosted it on yousendit. Hope its ok :)

Code:
http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2G9X459T142P42T60HJXLFY37O

Steve

I made this one for a client a few years back. It's basically tanalised 75x50 that was put through the planner and had a 12mmx12mm rebate cut into each side to form "T" shaped glazing bars.

greenhouse.jpg

Found that it worked a lot better once I fitted some glass :wink:

Jason

Back