Does anyone else get this type of hassle ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
As you may or may not know i am a carpenter and joiner , Self employed with my own shed/workshop . i make windows and doors , wardrobes etc etc. I had a call from an old neighbour a few weeks ago saying he needs a mitre joint cutting for a vanity unit in his new bathroom . I asked why the people that fitted the bathroom didnt do it , he said they didnt know how to . Not the sort of thing i do i said , if i fitted the bathroom then yes id do it . A few calls later i agree if he brings the worktop over on wednesday ill cut it for him. on friday he calls me and says can i do it over the weekend , no i says the router is back in the table and set up and im not taking it out for you , call me monday . Over the weekend i get the go ahead for nearly every job i quoted in the last month . So he calls monday about 15 times , machines going i dont hear it and to be honest too busy to be on the phone for another half hour talking about his bathroom that isnt finished by the company hes paid to do it .Tuesday 20 calls , wednesday morning at 4am i get a blank text message from him !
He calls wednesday lunch time 3 times but i had to hold my tounge and cut the call off because i was in a packed shop ( shame ). Wednesday night at 10 pm he calls and i get to say what i want to say to someone that wakes me in the middle of the night (F...please will you go away ..f )
Friday night 7 pm finished work about half hour ago and someone is knocking on my door and shouting through my letter box , its him !
Oh i did enjoy myself with verbal abuse and slamming the door in his face , he denied sending the text but its logged on my phone at 406 am and i know he works nights .
:roll:

:lol: they are talking about cutting the mitre into the depth of the worktop :lol:

maybe if you'd agreed to help him out for a few quid at the start, you would have saved yourself the hassle

Frankly I would've done the same, told him where to get off. If this is the way he behaves when you refuse to do a job, what would he be like if there were some "after sales" issues? A quick call to the local cop shop should sort him out and since you've got the number of the phone that he may've texted you on I'd certainly report the ejit. As you say he paid somebody to do the job in the first place so it's them he should be hassling.
Of course a sky rocket in the right place would sort him....

Noel

Hang on, let me get this right. You said "call me on Monday", right? But you didn't answer the 'phone. Did you speak to him when he called on Tuesday? Did you actually say at any stage you wouldn't do it, go and find someone else? Did you explain you'd been swamped with proper, paying work since you'd said you'd do it?

Not to say he isn't being a royal pain in the posterior, 'cos he is, but as I read it so far, I can see why he might be a bit ticked off too.

Cheers, Alf

Alf said - "Hang on, let me get this right. You said "call me on Monday", right?" Well thanks for that, 'cause I didn't read it right. Thought you said NO and then he started stalking you. Better do it or tell him you won't do it, one or the other.

Noel

I said no at the start and after many phone calls and giving him advise on who maybe able to help him and tips on cheaper places to go for things i thought just do the job to get rid of him . Maybe i could have picked up the phone and told him i cant do it but that would end up in another half hour+ on the phone .
My point is what gives him the right to send me a text at 4 am and to come to my house and shout for me through the letterbox .
Im a carpenter not a heart surgeon !
As for busy , look at my www under my post , the work pics on page 2 was just the weekend :cry:

jfc you work for your self ,give him a price he will refuse and a date sometime in the future (distant) the worst thing you can do is to put right some one elses work cos if somthing go'es wrong it your fault even if you didnt do it .i have been there and got the t shirt ,i see he never asked you for a quote for the job . you can get plenty of work like that but it wont pay the bills. if it was me i would tell him to #####off and get on with the work you have . if i have upset some members im sorry but thats life when you work for your the worst boss in the world ,(your self )

frank

JFC wrote:
I had a call from an old neighbour

No wonder you moved!! It sounds like he expects you to do it for nothing at his convenience and would probably wreck your head even more if he wasn't happy with the results. If he was annoying my head like that I'd tell him to f off as well, he's way OTT and out of order.

dw i can just see mrs dw waiting for you to come back nackered after helping that poor young girl . :D :D :lol: 8) then the pain starts (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

frank

Back