Does anyone else dislike routers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, I had forgotten that. But as you say it was in a table, it seems to me that the router table converts the tool to a minature spindle moulder!
Spindle moulders always were slightly intimidating ( in the days of the square cutter block very intimidating) to the untrained eye and had a deserved reputation for being dangerous, over the last few years regulations have been tightened and tooling altered to reduce the risk to operators. I think the router tables small "toy" appearance may be counter productive since it doesn't look dangerous.

A

Surprisingly routers can be badly made. I have a Trend T4 and it is as rough as a badgers a## !
If I were starting out again I would buy the Festool MFK 700 trimmer plus. This is ideal for fine trimming with an adjustment wheel raising and lowering by fractions of a millimetre. It also has an edge trimmer base with the router in the horizontal position.
Otherwise Makita routers are beautifully made with lots of interchangeable template guides . Pricey to buy of course but you only have to cry once. :)

Last edited:
I love my routers... have a DeWalt D26204K and a Ryobi cordless

Bought an extra fixed base for the DeWalt, and that is now mounted permanently in my router table's top.

They're noisy, but such versatile tools!

I agree - I however find using a router plane very satisfying.
Ditto. I've the open mouth Lie Nielsen one,(got it at 2/3 its retail price) and that is a joy to use and super sharp out the box.

I've come into contact with the electric router cutter in use and trust me that brings fear and alarm :LOL: From using it, put it down and reach for something without fully looking and finger connects with the slowing down blade. More a series of parallel cuts then big chunks of flesh flying off.
Grab injured finger in hand ..scared to look scared to look scared to look :LOL:

But they're needed despite their problems. Very accurate, clean cuts,sharp edges and saves a huge amount of time, especially if its your job and you're paid for each piece of furniture you create.

Surprisingly routers can be badly made. I have a Trend T4 and it is as rough as a badgers a## !
If I were starting out again I would buy the Festool MFK 700 trimmer plus. This is ideal for fine trimming with an adjustment wheel raising and lowering by fractions of a millimetre. It also has an edge trimmer base with the router in the horizontal position.
Otherwise Makita routers are beautifully made with lots of interchangeable template guides . Pricey to buy of course but you only have to cry once. :)
I have a Makita one and still dislike the tool as a whole. I’m not saying it’s not good or not well made I just find them horrible to use. 1/4” hand held routers are better and I like spindle moulders. I can also see the argument for stair string housing as they are invaluable for that.

I am not a fan of routers, well at least not a fan of my router.

I bought it, c.9 years ago, for a specific urgent job and it paid for itself that weekend. Our upstairs floors are chipboard, some imaginatively run under internal walls, and I needed access to pipes. The labyrinth of pipes, drains and wiring was unconventional at best. The router depth set to barely the thickness of the chipboard meant I could confidently cut where I wanted and push out panels with no fear of damage.

It seems I bought a model that doesn't fit any mainstream router tables. Oh well. I've used it since on more normal jobs but I just don't get on with it at all. Awkward to change cutters, awkward to adjust depth stop, seems heavy for what it is, for me it's very much a last resort, not a first pick. Maybe I need to get a few dozen hours 'routing time' under my belt but its not going to happen unless I really have to for something. So I understand the OPs question and the divided opinions.

For me they fall into the ‘necessary evil‘ category - mildly intimidating and a real pain to control. Guess that last bit is solved with experience, but they always seem to want to go where I don’t want them to.

I have used routers for the last 35 years or so, not regularly though.
Using them indoors is last option for me, has to be outside.
I use a router table now, and hand held for rounding off only these days, thank goodness

I apologise now to the OP, but once I'd got my OF1010 I loved them. Such an easy versatile unit. The OF1400 followed shortly after (y)

I can also see the argument for stair string housing as they are invaluable for that.

They also revolutionised post formed laminate worktop joints & before track saws made perfect trimming of the edges of MFC possible on site, well at least for me.
The router to my mind is one of those tools that’s only limited by the imagination.

Maybe I best get saving up then and try one of these 👍🏻

Or better still get in touch with Festool & have one of their reps demonstrated it free of charge in your workshop with no obligation to buy.

Been very wary of routers for years. Anything with a rotating blade spinning at those rpms deserves respect. I broke down and bought an OF1010 a while back and I have to say that I really like it. The push button spindle lock is nicely thought out, the speed control is smooth and it’s a pretty ergonomic router to use (although not quite got the guts to use it one handed).

You can still give yourself a fright tho. I was rebating some old shutters last week and caught a buried and hidden nail with a 20mm upcut bit. That’ll wake you up. Mercifully the bit stayed intact (and was sharpenable) but there’s nothing like a shower of sparks from a handheld router to get your attention...

Maybe I best get saving up then and try one of these 👍🏻

Whilst I am by no means a router expert what I can tell you is they are easier to use than others I had tried or owned.

I believe they are also lighter than some others which just makes them generally feel less unwieldy .

The only thing that really bugs me is that the rail attachment spacing is different on the 1010 to the others which means buying multiple parts....grrrrrr....

Other than that I enjoy them 👍

prefer my 3HP Hitachi over the smaller type.....
weight is good when hand held....
for best results, use at a comfortable hight, good lighting....
I use mine outside as I have no prop workshop at pres and mostley the sun shines everyday....
lastley a decent set of ear defenders..... I can rout all day if needed.....
personally a 9" grinder/ disc cutter is far move unforgiving....
but then I use em most every day.....
get a metal MIlling machine if u want scary....hahaha....

get a metal MIlling machine if u want scary....hahaha....

While it will never be a replacement for a nice Bridgeport mill, I use my OF 1010 and a carbide 4-flute end mill to cut keyhole slots in aluminum extrusion for clamps. I will never try to cut any ferrous metal with it.

Routing-Template-3-L.jpg

I just love it when doing a dado and you've a board clamped to use as a guide and the vibration loosens off one of the holding clamps. Halfway along the guide board slips and sends the router on a nice big sweep totally destroying the job.

All in all i suppose its a needed tool, and while hand tools are nice to use, that cant really be the case when time = money and its your job.

I'll add in beware of 'elitism' where hand tools are given preference over the ability to do the job, just because they are hand tools. I see this in many differing forums im on.
I've tried that. Took a length of tree trunk, seasoned it ,quartered it and rove the boards from it, spending a huge amount of time hand planing them down. flat and parallel.
Made a nice box off it and if i were to convey that in financial time taken to prepare and complete, it would have been the most expensive thing ive ever made.

A hand router has its place, but i think not for the entire job, rather to clean up or deepen a section.

Latest posts

Back