Does anyone else dislike routers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linwoodjoinery

Established Member
Reaction score
Although they are a great tool does anyone else really dislike them? I’m not scared of them, I know how to use them but they just irritate me. I’m talking hand held not bench/table mounted. 1/2” in particular but 1/4” irritate me too! Dust extraction is near impossible. Changing cutters is a chore. Adjusting is a chore. Etc etc! Sorry rant over! Was wondering if it was just me!

And OT but these are the many reasons in another thread where I suggested alternatives rather than trying to use one in an apartment bedroom workshop.

Although they are a great tool does anyone else really dislike them? I’m not scared of them, I know how to use them but they just irritate me. I’m talking hand held not bench/table mounted. 1/2” in particular but 1/4” irritate me too! Dust extraction is near impossible. Changing cutters is a chore. Adjusting is a chore. Etc etc! Sorry rant over! Was wondering if it was just me!

When I had my Trend T5 1/4" I really hated everything about it. Put me off routers for a whole year. Changing bits was like giving oneself a prostate exam with Wolverine's claws!

Then I sold it and now got a Triton, and I am back in happy land!

I have owned a few routers in my time, Makita, Trend etc but my favourite by far is the Festool OF1400. It runs silky smooth, the dust extraction is very good and all the associated parts just clip on and off really easily. Changing bits is easy as it has a ratcheting lock for the spindle so you only need one spanner and don't need to keep taking the spanner off every half turn. Some people don't like the handle lay out but it works for me, really easy to use one handed while the other hand holds the workpiece (I know I shouldn't promote that). All in all I find it a joy to use and think it's worth the premium price tag.

I have owned a few routers in my time, Makita, Trend etc but my favourite by far is the Festool OF1400. It runs silky smooth, the dust extraction is very good and all the associated parts just clip on and off really easily. Changing bits is easy as it has a ratcheting lock for the spindle so you only need one spanner and don't need to keep taking the spanner off every half turn. Some people don't like the handle lay out but it works for me, really easy to use one handed while the other hand holds the workpiece (I know I shouldn't promote that). All in all I find it a joy to use and think it's worth the premium price tag.
+1 for the OF 1400

nope. I have zero issues with the router as a tool. I use the katsu most of the time, quick flick and out the body comes from the base, locking button and 1 spanner, bit changed, back in the base and away I go.
my big 1/2 is a silverline (yer I know, disgraceful). does what I need, bit loud but so is my wife and I don't complain about her either.

dust collection, no issue with the katsu, so much so that I've used it on door frames to let in new wood for hinges, inside, with new carpets. big one is a bit iffy but not so bad as to not be acceptable to me.

maybe because I'm coming from industries where quick change isn't a thing and a bit of wood chucked about is far less of a worry than a chunk of metal or worse, SWARF.

I love my routers and don't have any issues with changing cutters, dust collection, or noise. I have the Festool OF 1010 and OF 2200 for hand routing, and the AUKTools MK2 for the router table. I used to have the Bosch GOF 1600 CE, and it was awful for dust collection, but I didn't have any issues with changing the cutter.

For me the most versatile tool in the box. Do hate the noise though. i try to use hand tools for one off things and for runs like when I have orders for the PC/Xbox cases etc I use the big router in the CNC to make all the production parts and then go back to hand tools. However the best "router" and my fave to use is my dremel type tools with he Veritas plunge base when doing lots of inlay. Just seems to be sooo much fun.

...yep as a "casual" (very) user I hate the bloody things as well. Try everything I can to use something else instead. I guess if you have a "proper" set up in a table they are not too bad. As for circular saws...omg, I would love one but could never see myself buying one as I think I would do myself some serious damage!

If you don't like routers then you will need to buy them old fashioned plane things with wooden handles and learn the skills to use them. I would be just as good with an axe because I do not get on with woodworking handtools.

Routers are great, essential for mouldings, rebating and boring holes but the one thing I have learnt is that they work best with jigs or in a table and if you work wood then sawdust is just a byproduct that gives a measure of how much work you have done.

Yes I like the old planes and use them from time to time. I use the spindle moulder where possible. It’s just routers really irritate me. I have the 18v makita hand router. It’s a lovely tool but cutter changes still irritate me. I think if you have one on a table then it’s basically a small spindle moulder so probably much better.

Imagine my joy while making a zero clearance insert for my table saw on Tuesday. The DX on the little Bosch wasn't too bad for just templating from my template, but then I had to route a 15mmx15mm chunk out around the entire perimeter to sit flush. Green MDF snow everywhere. Just doing that job was enough to make me nail a rouer into a bord before I do another insert let alone the other joys it'll bring.

I don't exactaly hate them but they are loud so if I can do the job another way (within reason) I will. That said there is a lot you can do with one so I aint going to chuck it out just yet.
Regards
John

I am a hand tool woodworker but I do have a couple of routers: I was given 1 and picked up the other at a flea market for 5 euros (I don't know why, just an impulse buy). If I ever use either of them I will let you know how I get on ;).

I did use a router a few (10?) years ago. Horrible, noisy thing but it did do jobs I would struggle to do any other way. I am in no rush to repeat the experience though and in my projects I don't have a need for a router.

I have an OF1010. I use it occasionally. I have a disc like cutter for doing biscuits, that gets used a fair bit. I must confess to being a bit wary of them though. I once picked up a cheap cutter I had been using and noticed a small chip had gone from one edge. I did pause for a moment or so wondering where that chip had gone, and at what speed. The thought of it heading for my eyes propelled by cutter turning at 30k rpm (?) Made me hugely conscious of safety first, as indeed we all should be. I only buy decent quality cutters now.

I don't mind the noise, the festool extraction is pretty good.

Back