Does anyone eat rabbit anymore ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was young tucking into rabbit quite regularly. Rabbit pie ,rabbit stew etc, delicious but you hardly hear of it now.
When as a youngster I used to go to Appleby Fair with my grandad and camp on the way rabbit was never off the menu, the old lurcher would always catch at least a brace of them . Happy days :)

Not regularly, but I do eat it from time to time. If i had some shooting ground, I would live off rabbit, pigeon and game.

Rabbit at the local butchers is quite expensive though. I wouldn't pay a premium for it. One of those things that you need to see before you decide how to cook it- nothing worse than an older rabbit roasted, but that is my preference if they are young. I think that it will come back into fashion though as people are re-learning how to cook something other than chicken breast.

I'd never seen it on sale around where I've lived. I know it's widely on sale in Italy as well, I first tried it when visiting my girlfriend's family in Lombardia. Can't say I liked it, though!

(Along a similar vein, I'm curious about goose. I gather it was the pre-turkey traditional Christmas bird, but the only goose I recall seeing on sale was goose fat! There's got to be a lot of geese somewhere to account for the fat, where do they all go?)

JakeS":t7idpa99 said:
(Along a similar vein, I'm curious about goose. I gather it was the pre-turkey traditional Christmas bird, but the only goose I recall seeing on sale was goose fat! There's got to be a lot of geese somewhere to account for the fat, where do they all go?)

Down South!

I saw some rabbit in a butchers and it had (made in) China.

I havent had any since, that notice has put me off for life, also my car is not nippy enough these days to knock em down.

On the subject of geese, A friend of my dads mentioned to him that he wouldn't mind having goose for christmas. My dad could find anything for anyone (which was very useful before the internet). Lo and behold a couple of days later he turned up at said friends with a couple of LIVE geese. The friend roasted them boiled them and finally curried them in an attempt to make them edible , must have been older than my dad :shock:

Alan Jones":2vgua9kv said:
I remember when I was young tucking into rabbit quite regularly. Rabbit pie ,rabbit stew etc, delicious but you hardly hear of it now.
When as a youngster I used to go to Appleby Fair with my grandad and camp on the way rabbit was never off the menu, the old lurcher would always catch at least a brace of them . Happy days :)
Had rabbit only the other day. But this was in a posh restaurant (Silversmiths, Sheffield), with a tiny black pudding on top. Very tasty.
I think the main thing for modern tastes is to take out all the bones before serving it up, then it looks a lot less like a roadkill corpse mess.

Jacob":uooh4nkn said:
Alan Jones":uooh4nkn said:
Had rabbit only the other day. But this was in a posh restaurant (Silversmiths, Sheffield), with a tiny black pudding on top. Very tasty.
I think the main thing for modern tastes is to take out all the bones before serving it up, then it looks a lot less like a roadkill corpse mess.

Or French the ribs and roast, serve on a vegetable puree with a token leaf of salad, and charge £20 for the dish!

Alan Jones":7yfqy2ge said:

rabbit resurgance

Appears to be fashionable.

BugBear

Had rabbit in a restaurant in Valldemmosa, it was served in a tomato sauce and I seem to remember it was something of a house speciality, seemingly George Sand ate it regularly when she stayed there, or something like that...anyway it was delicious, eaten al fresco with a glass of wine, I got sunburnt down one leg as I remember - those were the days...bosshogg :)

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
T. S. Eliot

We had one of our French neighbours round on New Years Eve and had a lovely goose. They had never had roast goose before and really enjoyed it! Followed by a light Chrissy pud and real custard, not the pony poo they call sauce Anglaise!

We eat a fair amount of duck here and a single duck breast is enough for the 2 of us and the confit du canard, very slow and long cooked duck legs, is to die for as is the liver, foie gras, yum yum yum!

Not had rabbit for a while, but had goose for Xmas - got a good kilner jar of goose fat out of it too. :D

Si.

I can remember my grandad telling me that during the war wild rabbit was in great demand as a souce of meat. He had a fantastic old lurcher that would head out several times everyday on its own and bring a rabbit back.
Half the village would attempt to retrieve the rabbit from the dog but it was too wiley for them.
My mam used to make a delicious rabbit pie with stewing steak and black pudding in with the rabbit and a lovely pie-crust on the top =P~ =P~

We have rabbit occasionally - although, as Macros says, they're a bit pricy from the butchers these days. Only recently managed to face having them on the menu again; my folks bred them for eating for a while back in the day, and I got sick to death of the damn things before the freezer was empty.

We eat it regularly. Readily available in the supermarkets and butchers as Jonzjob has already said but I must say I do prefer to buy them sans tête.

Andy

Back