Does anyone eat rabbit anymore ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elmer.png

Did someone mention Wabbit?

Attachments

• elmer.png
    elmer.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 696
Rabbit was a main source of meat in our house during WW2, the garage, in Brum, was lined with breading cages and dad had a special allowance of grain and feedstuffs.
After the war on the farm, rabbit was still a main source of meat right up until myxomatosis outbreak, after the experience of coming home from school and spending an hour or so walking around the fields putting them out of their misery their attraction died off.
Although we have access to them now, indeed a neighbor bread them for the food market until recently, most that get dropped off by local farmer find their way to other members of the family as they are still not our first choice.

Hope Pheasants and other Game never suffer a similar infliction, like my food too much to loose that pleasure as well.

devonwoody":3hw455u6 said:
I saw some rabbit in a butchers and it had (made in) China.
I hope they had the skins on, having seen so called rabbits on display on a butches stall in China I would not trust any that had not.

Sometimes having a knowledge of the difference in scull shape between Rabbits and Felines does nothing for your appetite.

Haven't had rabbit for ages but there does seem to be getting more and more grey Hairs about :lol:

Chas,
Forget the skull shape, aren't the teeth a slightly easier way to spot the difference? :D

I grew up on a lot of rabbit in the 60's and 70's and between myxi outbreaks shot a fair few for the pot until the early 80's but I haven't had wild rabbit for years. I've had big fat domesticated rabbit in France but that's not the same as young wild rabbit.

In the last few years we had some chaps ferretting near us in when we lived in Hampshire but they just chucked the dead rabbits into the nearest bush rather than sell/eat 'em - A real waste and a nuisance as the dogs used to go mad for them. It also upset some of the ex-city local inhabitants, who for some weird reason objected to decaying rabbit carcasses hanging in the bushes! :wink:

Jon

Used to eat Rabbit fairly often in the past but now only see them in the very scarce Butchers Shops.
Many moons ago I used to shoot them but got fed up of preparing them as most folks would not take them with their skins on!
Seems to have been replaced by Venison in this part of the world where deer are a real nuisance and very common?
Wood Pigeon is a bit of a delicasey in some restaurants nowadays?

Rod

When I was young a friends dog killed his neighbours cat. As she was always telling tales to his parents about him he skinned the cat and gave her a "rabbit".
She said it was the tastiest rabbit she had ever eaten and gave him 10 bob (50p to yo young uns ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think of all meat, wood pigeon is one of my favourites. I wouldnt bother with anything except the breast though, and skin them/breast them rather than . about with plucking. Needs to be left pretty pink too.

Venison I like too. Rare as you dare! But you dont want the stuff from the rutting period. Unfortunately the game dealers buy it all year round, so far better to have a good relationship with the buttcher/hunter! Excellent sport too

All this talk of rabbits has had me reminiscing about my old Dad.

He's long gone now but one of the first things I can remember him showing me as a very young lad was how to empty a rabbit's bladder after it'd been shot, how to slit it open with a pen knife and gut it, check for liver fluke and "leg" it (cut behind the achilles tendon and put the other leg through) to carry it home.

Those days are a long way off I'm afraid :wink:
Jon

I used to breed rabbits for my table, after a pub argument with an buttocks and I wanted to prove to myself I was prepared to kill what I ate. I did like being able to pop out to the garage for fresh meat, but it's quite a faff to de-bone and in the end I proved to be just too idle [and a rubbish cook]

chipmunk":z4cq6dr9 said:
Chas,
Forget the skull shape, aren't the teeth a slightly easier way to spot the difference? :D

Considerably but you don't need to be up close to spot the difference in skull shape across the market allys.
Funny how a lot of the 'goats' had no hoves either.

I see what you mean.

Say what you will, those folks waste very little.

Anything that can be eaten, usually is, and more besides :wink:

Jon

Years ago, while lying in my hammock and drinking beer from the bottle. I noticed my dog dragging something under the fence. Upon inspection, to my dismay, I realised it was the next door neighbour's 10 year old daughter's rabbit. For years I had watch her come home from school and head straight out to it's cage, free it and play with it in the yard. I knew today would be no different and fearing for our dog, I had to think fast.

The rabbit was quite dirty, as if it had put up quite a struggle, so I washed it off with the hose, combed it with the Dog brush and blew it dry with the leaf blower. Upon finishing it's grooming I jumped the fence and replaced back in it's cage, hoping it's death would be written off as "natural causes".

Back to the hammock and JD. Within the hour the neighbour's Volvo pulled in as usual and out popped the little girl, and as usual she headed straight for the cage. Only this time she stopped about six feet away and screamed: "DDDAAAADDDDDDDYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Her father, panic stricken, stood looking at the cage. Being the good neighbour that I am I rushed to fence and asked if there was anything I could do.

Her father less than calmly blurted, "What kind of sick individual would dig up a little girl's dead rabbit and put it back in it's cage??" :D

Jacob":19vqe0rz said:
CHJ":19vqe0rz said:
Funny how a lot of the 'goats' had no hooves either.
Toes? :shock:

Yep I know Jacob, have clipped a few in my time along with the odd few hundred sheep but when they form a complete foot they are usually referred to as cloven hooves

Back