Does a wood burning stove count as a tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't say that! We're hoping to get a woodburner installed in the house this month, and a second one (also in the house) later in the year. The ones we like are not EcoDesign Ready either. I've got mixed opinions on whether that's a foolish move or not.
That was just a personal feeling, just been picking up snippets of information on the radio, papers and the reports, looking at the pollution inside the home. I don't think it's going to happen soon, so your fires will be OK. :) I'm in a smoke controlled area, so had to fit a DEFRA approved, but they are usually boring designs. I fitted a Carron multifuel and having used it for a few years. I think it's a poor design. The main problem is when you open the door to refuel, smoke can come out. That was what the report was about. Also a single door means you need a massive hearth in front to stay within the regulations, but when it's running, it's lovely and only takes minutes to heat up

P-A , had you thought of looking at the diesel type heaters popular with the mobile home community.. I don't know anything about them but that is what my brother is going to fit into his retirement workshop - retiring from doing ..... woodwork!! I suspect controllability might be an advantage with background heat when not in occupancy. Fuel - well central heating oil/ red diesel.
Rob
I've recently installed one in my workshop. I'm really pleased with it and the running costs. I use a mix of 80% heating oil and 20% red diesel.

I've recently installed one in my workshop. I'm really pleased with it and the running costs. I use a mix of 80% heating oil and 20% red diesel.
I recently installed one as well. If you don't mind me asking , why do you mix the kero and the diesel?

I recently installed one as well. If you don't mind me asking , why do you mix the kero and the diesel?
The dosing pump needs lubrication to protect its internals. Heating oil (28sec kerosene) is cheaper and burns cleaner but doesn't have the lubricity of diesel. I'm really pleased with the heater's performance and quality and the installation can be pretty tidy.

Attachments

• diesel.jpg
    diesel.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 14
  • diesel2.jpg
    diesel2.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 14
Tidy job.
Do you have a back up battery in case of a power cut.
I intend to hook one up but haven't got around to it yet.
I don't have a backup battery, but probably should since we do get power cuts out in the sticks. I'm always in the workshop when it's running so could yank off the casing and attempt a rescue of the control board, but a battery would be a wiser choice. A motorbike one would probably be sufficient just to run the fan for a few mins. Would need to work out a wiring arrangement so the battery circuit was only active when the mains was cut. Otherwise the transformer would be constantly charging the battery - probs not good for it.

And maybe one of these
Yes I think that might be ample to shut it down safely.

I'm going to rob the battery out of the lawnmower, it will keep it charged over winter and by the time I need it again, hopefully I won't need the heater.

Hmm. Not sure that Amazon linked item will charge the battery? It looks like it will switch the contacts from the transformer input to the battery input, but it doesn't appear to have charging circuitry?

Hmm. Not sure that Amazon linked item will charge the battery? It looks like it will switch the contacts from the transformer input to the battery input, but it doesn't appear to have charging circuitry?
You are right. It's just a switch.

but a) it only supplies 10A,
That's why I opted for the 12A one, no need to have the battery on charge all the time.
It may never be needed, and if it is no big deal to top it up again.

That's why I opted for the 12A one, no need to have the battery on charge all the time.
It may never be needed, and if it is no big deal to top it up again.
Installed the backup battery (Yuasa, sealed, rechargeable burglar alarm style) this one and automatic switch this one today. If the 12v from the mains transformer fails, the relay opens and the backup battery 12v is utilised. There is about a 30milisecond switchover delay where no power gets to the heater. When the battery then kicks in, the heater goes into its shutdown cycle. I bought the 30amp switch since the heaters draw around 12amps in startup mode and I wanted a bit of headroom. It was only a couple of quid more expensive that the 12amp version.

All does exactly what I wanted.

Attachments

• PXL_20210130_165604095.jpg
    PXL_20210130_165604095.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20210130_172236307.jpg
    PXL_20210130_172236307.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
There is about a 30milisecond switchover delay where no power gets to the heater. When the battery then kicks in, the heater goes into its shutdown cycle.
Good job
I hope mine works the same.
I haven't got it wired yet.
I packed the mower away yesterday so might get around to removing the battery tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon

Back