Does a shelf have…

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are discussing different items here....In my opinion, Planks and dimensioned timber & sheets are measured in length x width x thickness.

Once its cut up and made/ installed, it is then measured by width, depth & thickness (or height if it's a cabinet).

I dont see any contradiction or ambiguity as some have suggested.....:unsure:

Go back and read the original post....

Last edited:
What a wonderful thread. When I first taught I used to presume that children knew the difference between how long something was how wide and how thick. It soon dawned on me that it wasn't the case, with hilarious consequences. When we discussed prep lists I had to include, in my scheme of work, a topic to explain the differences. This involved using a long piece of soft wood and measuring the length, width etc. and noting them in the right order. Sooner or later one of the brighter kids would reaslise it was a brilliant way to wind me up and start asking which was the height and depth of the wood, as we talked about how high or tall a tree was. All this was very good natured but then I would have to introduce the idea that on their prep list for a piece of wood the length was always measured with the grain, even if it was shorter than the width. Happy days!

Last edited:
As ever here in the UK, the convention for listing dimensions of solid wood, or veneered boards, the first dimension indicates the length parallel with the long grain, then cross-grain width (breadth) and lastly thickness, so generally, but not always, the long grain of the board (solid or veneered), runs left to right. It gets a bit trickier with stuff that doesn't have grain pattern grain, e.g., MDF, OSB, etc, But here again the convention I'm familiar with is that the first measurement listed is the one that runs left to right in the cabinet opening, followed by width X thickness. Of course, not all shelves are longer left to right as seen from the front and the width, which relates to the internal depth of the cabinet, is greater than the length.

It is relatively easy, even in professional workshops, for confusion and mistakes to mistakes to happen because of that, so good communication between those working on a project really is necessary.

Then, of course, there is the convention in North America, where they typically list dimensions in the reverse order to what Brits are used to, i.e., solid wood is listed thickness X width (breadth) X length (long grain dimension). It can all get a bit confusing and even chaotic, so again, good communication usually helps, e.g., if, as a maker, you're not sure, ask the designer, and if you're the designer it's quite easy to draw grain direction marks on the plan and/or include in the written notes guidance on the terms or conventions are in use. Slainte.

If they ever made a Spinal Tap 2, they could use this to good effect... Instead of mixing up feet and inches for the stage set, they could mix up width depth length breadth thickness etc...

:oops: Couldn't we create a standard method?

L -----a-----
w \ b \
d/t | c |

- = a
\ = b
| = c

:oops:
Gawd, when I wrote it it looked like a piece of wood but 'reformatting' has ruined it. There's my big plan scuppered.

like this:
Screenshot 2021-05-13 122158.png

What about height?
Do you measure height off the floor to the top or underside of the shelf?
Or are we talking about the difference between the two which some are calling depth and others thickness 😂

Back