Dodgy tooling or user error...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Established Member
Reaction score
And I had thought the drill press was probably the safest machine in my workshop....

DSCN0641.jpg

This was the result yesterday, after attempting to drill into some pine using this 10mm bit. In no time at all I'd had a hefty smack on the thumb, and the bit (and workpiece) were spinning around in the drill press like a propellor. Thankfully it was only a very small peice of wood, otherwise it could have been worse (I was also using some scrap during a test run, so no damage to the project thankfully).

Any idea of the cause? I'm thinking one of:
  • * Speed too fast for size of bit
    * Dodgy drill bit
    * Bit not correctly chucked
Cheers,
Martin.

Martin

An easy mistake to make, but that type of bit is only designed to be used by hand in a brace or similar. The clue is in the screw thread at the end. anything designed to cut at speed will never have a thread designed to pull the bit into the material worked on, instead relying upon the machine force to make the cut.

Cheers Alan

Martin

Been there myself a couple of years ago - drill speed to high was my problem but running at minimum speed with other bits has proven perfect.

Also, these days I pilot drill at 5mm before running the bit through it to stop the lead screw oon the end of the bit from biting the wood.

I believe that the lead srew is there for using these in a hand brace

I have the same set,and have found them to be quite allright (in the cordless)
Bought some of these for use in the drill press.

Andrew

Thanks guys. User error it is then :oops: I'll put that one down to experience and a lesson learned...

Cheers,
Martin.

Back