Dodd 6inch planer help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvum

Established Member
Reaction score
Some time ago I acquired a nice Dodd planer, lacking space, I dismantled the protruding bits, greased the table and put it away to await my usual refurb process. Time passed and other fascinating rusty metal came my way. Nevertheless this enforced confinement prompted me "to get her done" but I appear to have a lump left over. Please does anyone have one of these who has a copy of the user manual or knowledge of what goes where, and the adjustment procedure for the knives, (they have been sharpened to samurai standards by a local saw doctor and I am anxious to try ithem out)If anyone can assist me I would be most grateful.
Stay well all
Paul Barter

I have the Dodd planer still in use (no thicknesser). I never had a manual but would not think it necessary. Setting the knives is a fiddly time consuming process. What 'lump' have you got left over?

Hi Silfi
Thanks for your response, with all the bits was a large slab of cast iron same paint colour but no obvious means of attachment.with about a one inch diameter hole at right angles to the wide face of the slab and a locking handle The smaller fence fits on a bracket bolted to the infeed table, but only extends a few inches past the cutter head.There are pairs of threaded holes 1/4 whit on the edges of the infeed and outfeed tables, are these for a bracket that would attach the much larger slab as an additional fence?
Thanks Paul

parvum":27unjcde said:
Hi Silfi
Thanks for your response, with all the bits was a large slab of cast iron same paint colour but no obvious means of attachment.with about a one inch diameter hole at right angles to the wide face of the slab and a locking handle The smaller fence fits on a bracket bolted to the infeed table, but only extends a few inches past the cutter head.There are pairs of threaded holes 1/4 whit on the edges of the infeed and outfeed tables, are these for a bracket that would attach the much larger slab as an additional fence?
Thanks Paul

Ever heard that a picture paints 1000 words?

parvum":2t1rnrcu said:
Hi Silfi
Thanks Paul

Paul,
I am not sure you are missing any parts for the planer.
The fence is 15" long 3" high and extends 3.5 " past the cutter block. It is moved across the width of the table attached to a 1" diam bar that extends out the rear. A lever locks it in position. The tilt is locked with a hex head bolt.
As far as I am aware the 4 holes in the sides of the tables are to attach rollers to extend the length of the tables.
If the 'lump' is part of the machine then is it possibly a thicknesser attachment to mount above the beds?
If you're still not sure I will attempt to put up a photo --never done it before tho.

Hi Silfi
Thanks for your helpful and constructive reply. I have come to the same conclusion and the slab of cast iron is destined to be a sanding rest on my equally elephantine Wadkin lathe.Thanks again for your trouble.
Regards Paul

Hello all
Just to add to my original post, I wanted a manual to discover the part numbers of the two cutter head bearings. This would enable me to ensure availability before any damage to the existing suspect bearings caused by their removal made the machine useless rather than just noisy.
I need not have worried, the original fitter had the decency to fit the bearings with the numbers visible. They a are common 6202zz
and 6203zz. Frabjous joy, I had new rubber sealed bearings in stock from motor rebuild antics. New bearings,
New knives fitted as per utube 4mm drag off the outfeed table the magnetic jigs off eBay are useless, the “micrometer” markings are purely arbitrary plus or minus a lot. New belt on its way 1545 mm A section, the old belt is looking tatty and for a tenner a Dunlop premium will see me out.
I hope this info will be of use to anyone who gets hold of one these well built no frills planers.
Stay well all
Paul

Latest posts

Back