documentary on netflix

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Well worth a look, in my opinion, it opened my eyes SEASPIRACY

Attachments

• thumbnail (5) fish.jpg
    thumbnail (5) fish.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 33
Agree. I thought some bits weren't so well presented but the overall argument is pretty harrowing, esp for the fish-eaters among us.

Full discosure - I’m a (hobby) fisherman, and have an 18ft boat. More disclosure - the show’s producer is a campaigning vegan.

The idea that we should stop consuming a certain product because a muckraker has some pictures of questionable practices somewhere in the world does not chime with me.

For example, if you buy some line-caught mackerel from a British boat, the fact that some people in the Pacific are netting dolphins or using slaves is irrelevant.

Full discosure - I’m a (hobby) fisherman, and have an 18ft boat. More disclosure - the show’s producer is a campaigning vegan.

The idea that we should stop consuming a certain product because a muckraker has some pictures of questionable practices somewhere in the world does not chime with me.

For example, if you buy some line-caught mackerel from a British boat, the fact that some people in the Pacific are netting dolphins or using slaves is irrelevant.
Doesn't discredit the bigger picture.

I think you should be looking at what is happening not if the producer is Vegan or meat/fish eater.
I’m looking at both - bias (on my part or the producer’s) is something that should be taken into account when forming an opinion.

I deplore the practices pictured.

How do these link to my example of line-caught mackerel from a regulated British boat?

“You should stop eating fish because some fishermen on the planet are killing dolphins” is association fallacy. Commonly rendered as ‘tarring with the same brush’, or ‘Hitler ate sugar’. Why would argumental fallacies creep in to a documentary? Bias may be a factor.

“You should stop eating fish because some fishermen on the planet are killing dolphins” is association fallacy.
I think you've not watched the documentary carefully enough. That's not the argument. It's almost as if you're not trying.

I’m looking at both - bias (on my part or the producer’s) is something that should be taken into account when forming an opinion.

I deplore the practices pictured.

Had you put that in your first post instead of:
"The idea that we should stop consuming a certain product because a muckraker has some pictures of questionable practices somewhere in the world does not chime with me.

For example, if you buy some line-caught mackerel from a British boat, the fact that some people in the Pacific are netting dolphins or using slaves is irrelevant."

I have no problem with you or anyone killing, culling animals and fishing for people to eat but it should be done in a humane way.

I have no problem with you or anyone killing, culling animals and fishing for people to eat but it should be done in a humane way.
That's hardly the point of the documentary, either - tho it does appear as an issue. The point is destruction of eco systems and the potential global/ environmental impact of that.

Had you put that in your first post instead of:
This clause isn’t closed - Had I... then what?

I don’t agree that opinions should be “you should be looking at X not Y”, or “that instead of this”. The process of forming an opinion shouldn’t need to binary like that.

I agree, of course, that these things should be done humanely.

That's hardly the point of the documentary, either - tho it does appear as an issue. The point is destruction of eco systems and the potential global/ environmental impact of that.
Agreed. But fishing can be sustainable, according to marine conservationists. I see in the news that many of them, including some who appeared in the documentary, are distancing themselves from the content.

“Commercial fishing” can mean anything from a small crab boat in Cornwall to the awful beam and pulse trawlers.

With the demise of the senseless quota system, (haul up a tonne of fish, pick the good ones and chuck the rest back, dead, to feed the crabs), which only a bureaucrat could have come up with, cod stocks are reviving. It can be done.

Pretty much all intensive farming can be seen with an impact on natural habitats and other species.

Palm oil crops and beef farming are destroying rainforests

Fishing does need tighter controls on practices and processes. The UK isn’t a big consumer though so only so much we can do.
Shame we’re no longer part of one of the world’s largest economies

Back