Do your kids join in?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

My 10-year old daughter has enjoyed coming into the garage with me and cleaning up with dust pan and brush or dust extractor hose for years. She also enjoys fetching tools across to where I work :)

Couldn't get her to try any woodworking though (except to use the orbital sander occasionally)

Well today she did it!!! She took my cabinet scraper and very carefully scraped all the glue lines off some boards I had joined - and she loved it. Clearly she then swept up her own shavings too :lol:

The slippery slope awaits her :D When we came into the house she asked if she could try the little bronze LN low angle plane and if we could then call it her plane :wink:

Wondered if anybody out there had managed to get their kids interested?

No, too late now, lost cause! :cry: Eldest son does some welding now and again. Tried to get him to look at electrics of old machine. Still waiting 12 months later. (why invest in 4 year electronics degree?)

My three grandchildren have all had a go. The eldest, 12 year Harry is pretty good. We are currently making Christams presents, an egg holder for his Dad (to hold a dozen eggs from their chickens) and a bookcase for his Mum.

The egg holder will be ready this Christmas, the bookcase may take a little longer :lol:

My 16 year old boy unfortunately, wont come into the workshop anymore, he did try a few things but never took to it he now wants to join the army.
I'm a bit gutted that he wants to sign up but i will support him whatever he decides. :shock: :(
He always remarked that people will compare work and i always manage to do something right first time where as he would need a lot of attempts first. Not so i always say...... but teenagers rarely listen to their parents :?

My daughter has however shown a flair for using a scroll saw by making some jigsaws but boyfriends have now taken presitence over most things including homework........ :?

frustrated parent...... :roll:

Ian

My three girls have tried to do things in my workshop,but after loads of verbal abuse and screams from their dad they do eventually leave ha ha ha. Its my place of tranquillity, where i gather my thoughts and work out ideas.OK so its where me and the dog hide from 4 irate females but its all ours :D
cheers Steve

My eldest Amelia wants to make a table for her bedroom, she also like to clean up, I am encourageing her to make the table and I am waiting for the end of the design stage so that we can get going.
My youngest simply like to clean up.

Bean

for me, the shop's a haven; no pets.. no kids.. but it's the one place SWMBO fears to tread unless by invitation.. she's caused a few too many near misses thru sudden and unheard appearances while I've been in the middle of doing something....

My offspring, grandchildren and even the LOML bringing me coffee ask if it's okay to come in my workshop. LOML also knows not to invade in my absence looking for a screwdriver or whatever, 'cos in the past such things have not found their way back from whence they came. Anybody else with a kitchen drawer full of knives with bent tips..........? :roll:

I'm with you, Mike - absolutely, 100%. They accept it's for safety reasons but, just as important, I like my peace and my own space! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

I ask my teenager occasionally to help me with a project, i have yet to decipher what the grunts mean

tony if its a grunt with a deep sigh it means NO
if its a grunt with not such a deep sigh it means how much will you pay me
if its a sort of low grunt it means do i have to

Latest posts

Back