Do you use the tilt facility on your table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't. I didn't yesterday and I won't tomorrow. I hate tilting table saws, having to pay extra for something I'll never use, and a source of possible inaccuracy if/when the mechanism moves slightly

John

OK.

I'm sorry yours has a tilt mechanism. Every person I know who has a tablesaw uses it.

Perhaps you could design a replacement trunnion assembly that is fixed and put it on? Doesn't help on the wasted money part though. Do make sure you build in some sort of mechanism to be able to correct deviation that will occur over time.

Might even reduce or eliminate any small amounts of blade wobble that occurs on the arbor.

Use mine quite a bit. Thought you only used the Festool anyway :D

Jason

I don't very often, and to make matters worse, I made a zero clearance insert for my saw which means that it's much more of a hassle to do it, as I'd have to switch over to the old insert!

Yes, frequently enough for it to be a useful facility.

I'm not sure its something that costs "more", rather, if (a few people excepted) the entire market asks for such a facility/option, you get a cost based on unit sales which is far more units/year than a lower spec'ced item

Then, as you often find on Japanese manufactured cars, its cheaper for them to equip every item with that option, than produce a lots with, and a few without. Hence in Johns case, I reckon you'd end up paying more for a more basic model, if sales are low.

Adam

johnelliott":23kx40w2 said:
OK, so what is it that you guys are making that requires angled cuts?

John
I rip angles for beehives mostly, they have a little "landing board" which I like to have sloped to ensure any rain water runs away from, rather than into the hive.

Adam

i dont fancy trying to plane 45 degree angles with a plane and i wont use a router table to do them when i can do it on the saw .

Lazy devils...

007coffeetable.JPG

009coffeetable.JPG

Cheers, Alf

Who tilted the sawblade on the Maxi once, but it threatened to knock off all the sharpening stuff on top of it, so never did it again. :lol:

frank":pxig1eet said:
i dont fancy trying to plane 45 degree angles with a plane and i wont use a router table to do them when i can do it on the saw .

hah hah when i read that i knew alf would have something to say about it! :mrgreen:

Back