Do you use the tilt facility on your table saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnelliott":3mwpigre said:
OK, so what is it that you guys are making that requires angled cuts?

John

What I wanted to know was what you are making that requires them. I note that Adam is making beehives, but what else is being made that requires angles , five sided planters? I make cabinets and have never needed a tilting saw blade, so I am interested to know what people are making that requires one

John

John, for my "normal" woodworking I do not tilt the table much. I do make a number of small boxes and such that use mitered corners, with keys cut into them.

I make humidors and often use, but not always, long miters on the box body.

For interior trim, when I did that, I would often cut scarf joints on the table saw. Heck, for that matter, exterior trim as well (drip ledges).

Sometimes I use the TS to make raised panels for doors and or cabinet backs as it is so quick.

If I gave it much thought, I could probably think of a few more uses.

a corner cabinet for swmbo with a glass door and as you know you need four bits of wood all cut with an angle (and i cut them on my clarke screaming dervish)bowls segmented kind .
alf the wood was 5ft long and with my planing skills :roll: :roll: :roll: .

i must try my woodford i can cut them without wearing ear defenders :D :D

John,

As I reread your statement above, the word require really limits things.

One could as easily say, what cabinet is one making that requires the use of power tools?

Or, what is being built that requires anything more than already processed lumber? Or sheet goods? Or ???

I think it's great you don't need to tilt the saw blade. Do you think it is invalid that others do?

MikeW":1ph3crhk said:
John,

As I reread your statement above, the word require really limits things.

One could as easily say, what cabinet is one making that requires the use of power tools?

Or, what is being built that requires anything more than already processed lumber? Or sheet goods? Or ???

I think it's great you don't need to tilt the saw blade. Do you think it is invalid that others do?

Rather odd post, this. What on earth makes you think that I would think that any woodworking technique is invalid?

I am interested to know why people are making angled cuts with their talesaws. Don't read anything into the question other than that.

I use the word 'require' in the sense that for any given design the angles required are either 90 degrees or they aren't. I don't see how a design that requires 90 degree corners can be made with anything other than 90 degree cuts, similarly a corner cabinet is going to need (require) some 45 degree cuts.

I've owned table saws of one sort or another for a long time, and I have hardly ever used the tilt facility. When I look at other saws I wonder why the tilt facility is always (not quite true, Altendorf for one makes a non tilting saw) provided.

There's really no need to make a big deal about this question

John

Hi John,

I don't think I was reading anything into your post--maybe interpreting why you made the OP in the first place incorrectly. You didn't really give then, nor have you really responded to what people have said they use the tilt on their saws for.

My point about the word 'require,' is that there are a lot of ways to make something without doing X or Y or Z technique to achieve it.

For instance, the boxes I make using long miters. Obviously I can make the box and avoid cutting long miters on the tablesaw altogether (as in Alf's picture). So is that how you would make a long miter? Or do you simply not make long miters at all? We don't know because you are choosing to not say.

I can also choose an entirely different means to make the box. I recently made one with dovetails. There I avoided both using a TS's tilt in creating long miters and Alsf's arm strong method. I avoid either because I did not cut them at all.

I really was curious as to whether you do not construct anything that would perhaps traditionally use a long miter, or instead choose to make the corner connection in a different manner so as to not make a long miter, or if it is that the work you do never requires one to do a long miter or another method at all.

From the tone and the language you began this thread with it sounded as if you believed that because you had (nearly) no need to make anything other than 90 degree cuts, who would?

I certainly cannot imagine that someone who has worked wood for any length of time would not know why someone here would choose a type of joint of other than 90 degrees and thereby need to choose their prefered method of constructing it.

I have not been on this forum long, but from all the post showing people's work it just seemed that your post was pointless if one observed these people's posts, as I imagine you have.

I personally didn't think I was making a big deal out of this. And I certainly did not mean to offend you and if so I apologize.

As I have obviously mad an ass out of myself by now--if not originally then in this very stupid response--I'll exit myself from this thread.

johnelliott":qemgse20 said:
johnelliott":qemgse20 said:
OK, so what is it that you guys are making that requires angled cuts?

John

What I wanted to know was what you are making that requires them. I note that Adam is making beehives, but what else is being made that requires angles , five sided planters? I make cabinets and have never needed a tilting saw blade, so I am interested to know what people are making that requires one

John

I have the bevel cutting accessory for my Triton workcentre and I have used it to cut battens with a bevel to assist run off of rain on my planters. ~Could have done it on the bandsaw, when I think about it.

Wot Mike said. Any mitre longer than I can do on the mitre saw (eg. french cleat). Apart from Alf's galoot method I can't think of another way to accurately achieve this. I have also made raised panels on the table saw but there are other ways to do this.

John

john e this post is getting a bit daft ,( i said you will in time)then you said you wont,and yet you have done so in the past .if i asked if people used a hammer to knock nails in then said i dont ,should that mean other people should do the same as me ?? i say this in a light hearted way .every one has a different way of doing things

I can think of many uses for tilt mechanisms, John, and the ability to use the saw in this manner is a boon. If coupled with a sliding table the machine becomes very versatile.

A short list of tilt functions includes mitres at all sorts of angles, shoulders for angled tenons, grooves at odd angles to the face or edge of a board, cutting dihedral angles as compound cuts for all sorts of applications, ripping angles on the edge or the wide face of wood. I use these capabilities a lot in the work I do now, and have done in the past thirty years or so.

Incidentally, all of these operations in the UK can be achieved with the riving knife and crown guard in place on many modern sliding table saws, but perhaps not on older machines and machines with other configurations-- I'm not recommending removing the safety devices and using the machines as they are often used in American style woodworking.

It's handy if you have a separate dedicated rip saw for sizing rough timber, and on these machines there's often little benefit to be found in a tilting mechanism. Slainte.

Hello John

I have done most of the things others have mentions on the tilting of the blade.
Inaddition, I have made some nice crown moulding on it. I have a moulding head cutter with differant cutting blade that fits on the arbor of my saw and I can make several different cuttings on a 1X4 and then bevel each edge at 45 Degree and you have some custom crown moulding. The cuttings on this moulding can be altered by using the tilt on the saw 8) .

Have a nice day. PS.. I admire a man who can make a living out of wood work. I knew someone who did this and he worked all day at the job site.
Went by to check on another job on the way home and then spent the rest of the evening going over plans and figuring up material while I was at home watching TV

Travis

Back