Do you think this wood is any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

My brother in law just had a tree chopped down in his garden. He thinks it might have been Ash but not 100%. He said I can have as much as I want.

Do you think these bits look any good?

Should I take bark off, saw them up into smaller bits before storing them?

https://imgur.com/r14ew9n

Nah. If use it would be for smallish bandsaw projects. Most of the bits are 10” by 10” sort of size.

Probably better off as firewood with that amount of shakes in them being such short pieces, you might only yield a couple of inches of usable timber. Been out in the sun too long!

Looks like Ash(Hard to tell with them being so orange from exposure, makes it look a little like Apple but the bark is more Ash.), a very knarly Ash tree at that!

It doesn't look at all like ash or cherry. It looks much more like some kind of conifer - thuja or something like that.

You could get more clues from the smell when you cut it - a "pine'y" kind of smell would suggest conifer.

If I'm right, it's not even much use as firewood....

aw... do you really think it's that bad then?

Here's a close up!
IMG_0808.jpg

I was gonna have a go at stripping off the bark and then smearing wax or something over the tops.

Shall I just bin them then?

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
You think that lots bad... Last year I chopped down a Yucca tree (you know, the 3 spiky leaves on top of a thin wooden trunk in a pot in the window bay)
well thats how mine started 10 years ago.
When I chopped it down it was 15 foot tall and over 30" across at ground level.

Inside was just a fibrous mess that had so much milky white sap it stopped a chain saw dead. A tree saw wouldnt look at it. If i got the blade forwards, I couldnt drag it backwards. After finally getting it cut to just above ground level, the only way to shift the base was by using a club hammer and 4" bolster. Chopping cubes out that looked like coconut ice cream.
Thankfully they dont have below ground roots. It must have weighed a half ton and I salvaged NOTHING from a hard days work.

Ha... you should have just entrusted me to look after it. Despite good intentions I’m a serial killer of plants.

Over watering, under watering. I do it all. I just look at them and they start to wilt.

I have a yucca type thing in my lounge dying a slow death. I reckon I could cut the poor thing open with a blunt penknife.

the reason is its a tropical plant. buy it a sun lamp, give it a months monsoon rainfall very 6 months and watch that baby go.

I had a close look at the wood last night, there are loads of bloody cracks (or shakes as I believe proper wood people call them) so I've taken your advice, binned them!

The 3 bits of wood will be now be used as an insect hotel in my parents' garden (hammer)

Back