Do you think a rehardened stanley socket chisel...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although you have to take into account that folks had many half worn chisels to use for other jobs where it might have been wanted.
I only brought a nice little Fuller chisel from the folks, not sure if it was originally short, but might come in handy someday.
I would have had one use for it paring in confined spaces, but just pulled the offending close tenons out instead.

Yes, worn chisels are a possibility (as is repurposing broken chisels). a couple of the cast steel chisels in the seaton book are broken, but one has to account for the fact that they're also (or were) about a 20th of an inch thick at the bevel when made. There are separate firmers for heavier work, but they are by no means thick, either (some do have small bevels on them, though, contrary to claims I've seen that early chisels never had them - I don't know who ground the little bevels on them - it may have been a common user modification).

You need to have a go at making DTs. You might see what I mean.

Who can argue with someone who has no clue what they're talking about, despite the fact that I have actually even posted pictures of dovetails.

In the last year, I've made mostly chisels. Before that, every drawer or case I've ever made is dovetailed aside from one screwed togehter out of construction lumber and painted.

I showed pictures of them - literally in response to your presumptuous claims about what other people do or don't (it might be wise to ask once in a while).

The fact that you say the same thing, are responded to and then make the same comments later is strange to say the least. You need to have a go at paying attention to what other people say or do, using your words.

I'm still waiting for any neat cabinet work that you've done. Not cabinet work, but tidy cabinet work that someone would confuse for work done by a cabinetmaker.

Who can argue with someone who has no clue what they're talking about, despite the fact that I have actually even posted pictures of dovetails.

In the last year, I've made mostly chisels. Before that, every drawer or case I've ever made is dovetailed aside from one screwed togehter out of construction lumber and painted.

I showed pictures of them - literally in response to your presumptuous claims about what other people do or don't (it might be wise to ask once in a while).

The fact that you say the same thing, are responded to and then make the same comments later is strange to say the least. You need to have a go at paying attention to what other people say or do, using your words.

I'm still waiting for any neat cabinet work that you've done. Not cabinet work, but tidy cabinet work that someone would confuse for work done by a cabinetmaker.
I did project a couple of years back to get me up to speed on DTs.
Not quite posh cabinet work but typical "ordinary" traditional stuff, and using up offcuts and scraps.
This is how I twigged how good short chisels are
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/chest-of-drawers-wip.116324/I've done them over the years but only for jobs on the side and wanted to look at how to do it fast and efficiently by hand.
I'm doing some more shortly maybe I'll do another WIP.
PS this is where I discovered how good a short firmer chisel is for DTs. chest of drawers WIP
That green hold down snapped but the mad looking "weighted beam clamp" is really handy and you can stack several boards up side by side and on top and cut all the DTs in one sitting. Sitting down in fact.

Last edited:
I see mike G did some really neat dovetails.

I have no clue what you're trying to display, though - it looks like a slow way to do HBs and you blew out the sides of the socket on the sample you showed (which would be OK if you were just blasting through them).

Otherwise, there's not much there. I think you talk about this stuff a lot more than you do it - just being honest.

I think people who come here new should vet what you say a little further before they assume that you actually do a lot of this.

I’ve had a rather enjoyable and interesting past hour+. Passing by a Home Depot, I picked the remaining two Buck Bros. chisels, I mentioned earlier in this thread. Prepping them, instead of the SpyderCo ceramic stones I mainly have used over the past few years, I dug out an old favorite Washita natural oilstone and a translucent arkansas.

I have no idea what type of steel is in the chisels, but it responded beautifully to the oilstones (much nicer than the SpyderCos), leaving a silky smooth feeling to the surface. Timewise, not much different than the ceramic stones, but subjectively felt smoother.

Back