Do you need bead

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thingybob

If it aint broke dont fix it
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Do you use half round bead ,find its getting expencive and can't get small sizes if so i would like to share this simple and inexpencive jig
The ones i have made are in off cuts of Ramin and are only miniature sizes but can be upscaled to suit your need start by drilling a hole through the centre the size of your dowel stock you want to halve, find the centre of block and on the bandsaw cut down this line about half way or a little more so yo have a hole with a saw slot down the middle . Now i use a piece of broken hack saw blade cut a length the width of the block this will stop the dowel from twisting as you feed it on saw
Clamp the block to the bandsaw fence with the saw blade in the slot near to the end of the cut press the piece of blade into slot it should be a tightish fit ( I your slot kerf size is larger than the piece of blade find a piece of metal that will fit tightly into slot ) and not too far up the slot to touch bandsaw blade , Swich bandsaw on allow to run a second then feed dowel into the hole it will be sawn down the middle with the kerf being held either side of the metal plate at back of block when the length you need is cut eitherstop saw and pull back out hole or with saw still cutting pull through from the far side by the cut pieces and there you have it half round bead .
Here are some pics to better explain jig
20210323_145035.jpg
20210323_145050.jpg
20210323_145454.jpg
20210323_144942.jpg
20210323_145233.jpg
20210323_145321.jpg

I mainly make miniatures nowadays so these blocks fit old B&D Dewalt table top bandsaw but i have cut broom stales on my Electra Becum 315 with a 50mmx50mm block about 75mm long

Back