Do you like my mushroom?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Duiker-bowl2.jpg

Duiker-bowl1.jpg

Made from Elm Burr over the weekend. My wife likes it so I guess that is good enough?

Nice one Mick, bet that challenged your tool presentation.

Not Mush Room Inside when the lid is on though.

Very good, though the cat has turned his back on it, probably the thought of sharing the house with a load of gnomes.

Puts my humble efforts to shame, but give me time and a bit more practice

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments (and the Dutch ;-),

I especially like the comment regarding the space, you must be a fungi to be around CHJ. Its actually deeper than it looks though but its not really important to me as it was more an "objet d art" (spelling?).

I took the pics with a flash just before the final finish and clean as it was getting late on Sunday (hence the "white" in the potholes). I started the finish by using sanding sealer and wire wool. After a final blast with 400 grit sanding discs in a drill I finished it off with friction polish as I find wax dulls off too quick.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Waka,

The elm was not too bad at all although the chisels needed a good sharpening before and afterwards. The wood is hard but is forgiving as a result. The only thing with turning any burr is the uneved surface. You have to cut carefuly and be sure you are wearing a mask as the "holes" can cuase big bits to break out or the odd dig in.

Latest posts

Back