Do you know where I can get some of these from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a M7 socket headed machine screw with a wedge shaped head used for holding TC inserts into a spindle moulder block.
I need to replace some as they are getting a bit worn in the socket. if any one has any ideas I would be very grateful.

PA110064.JPG

Attachments

• PA110064.JPG
    PA110064.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 1,012
M7 is a non preferred size and only commonly used on push bikes as far as I know. In the first instance I'd contact the original supplier.

I used to sell cutterheads with those sort of screws in a former life.
the company that actually made the cutterheads (in Spain) ceased trading about 10 years ago.
I regret to inform you that I think it highly unlikely you will find the screws today. In my last employment we had none available (that company was an agent for the Spanish bunch).

BTW
Have you got the thread size correct?
IIRC they should be M8

Doug

If it is M8 you may be able to turn some standard cap head socket screws down to fit. The black ones are quite tough though so I'd try the stainless steel ones.

Thanks woodpig / Doug , they are defo 7mm x 1mm pitch, length 21mm overall, with a head dia of 10mm x 8mm deep.
:?: any ideas how I can restore the hex sockets? :roll:

Thanks for looking.

Chrispy":1qcut81m said:
... any ideas how I can restore the hex sockets?
The only way I could see theses being recovered is to TIG weld the existing sockets and spark erode new sockets.
Of course the bolts would then need correct heat treatment to recover the tensile strength and hardness.

All in all far more expensive than a modern replacement cutter head I would think.

Then of course there is safety certification to be considered by whoever signs off the repair.
Likewise:
woodpig":1qcut81m said:
If it is M8 you may be able to turn some standard cap head socket screws down to fit. The black ones are quite tough though so I'd try the stainless steel ones.

Not advisable to modify bolts in this sort of application which is a high energy dissipating cutting head, the results of a cutter insert exiting at those speeds does not bare contemplating and certainly not changing the material specification.

Thanks every one I've got a few phone calls to make now. I am hoping to pick up some "off the shelf" as i think to get some made to measure will cost more than a new block etc.
As restoring the sockets I was thinking more a long the lines of either driving a larger torx driver bit into the head with large hammer or making a tapered allen key to suit the warn head socket. any how thanks for your ideas.

Latest posts

Back