Do you Hoard?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Was in the workshop last night but felt too tired to not make any mistakes. So a perfect oppertunity to do some cleaning up.
I went through my offcut bins (which used to be singular and now is plural! :roll: ) Couldn't believe how much rubbish I have been hoarding. Managed to throw out two boxes of "there no-way I can possibly use these" sized bits of timber.
junk1.jpg

Obviously, any bits I could make a handle with, or possibly turn, i kept.
Managed to keep one box of stuff...
junk2.jpg

So are you lot as bad as me when it comes to throwing out rubbish?
Or is it just me? :roll:
Cheers
Philly :D

rsinden":3640fkwn said:
Boxes just like that are sold at Ledbury Auctions!
Which one? (Box, that is.)

Mmmm, purpleheart... Philly you seem to be throwing out the exact equivalent of my timber stock. Dammit, man, this stuff doesn't grow on trees! And wedge-shaped bits! Never throw out wedge-shaped bits.

Ah. Ha-hum. :oops: So in answer to your question then - much worse. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Mmmm, purpleheart...

P. P. S. Even managed to get a couple of planes in the background for this?! :roll:

Fear not Alf-the second pic is a box of keepers!!!
Didn't show my box of sad offcuts-I know they should go out but, still....
Well spotted with the planes-that cabinet was an early project that has just been moved out to the workshop to make way for a newer (who said better :wink: ) piece I made. Its perfect for storing those odds and sods.... (and Stanleys with no boxes.... :twisted: )
Cheers

Philly":1sbxfrwn said:
Fear not Alf-the second pic is a box of keepers!!!
Well I knew that. Heck, if I'd thought otherwise "the boys" would already have been on there way to point out the error of your ways... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly, it's not just you and I desperately need to clear mine out too :(

Philly,

Go for it mate - chuck 'em out. If you haven't found a project thus far - it's unlikely you'll find one now. Unless you find someone who's into turning small items - just chuck em out. I've so many offcuts now, I'm gunning towards building a oak/ash frame sofa as I know it'll vastly reduce the amount of stock I'm holding. I've done the drawings but need to make a prototype next. Perhaps I'll have to call on Aragorn to borrow his bandsaw :oops:

Adam

Philly
I think hoarding is linked to memory. Some of us can’t remember our own mobile phone number, car registration number or wife’s birthday: but we can remember where we put a broken spring from a electric fan we dismantled two years ago before throwing the truly useless bits away.
Example: Last week my wife’s car would not start, the day was saved by the modest collection of used spark plugs that I had put to one side ‘just in case’.
So, before you throw anything away just contemplate the anguish you will feel two weeks later when you find a use for it.
Remember: its not hoarding…..It’s recycling. :p

Alan

AlanG":2mnec4mg said:
...just contemplate the anguish you will feel two weeks later when you find a use for it.
But why does that always happen? Why, when I've kept something for 5 years during which time it has been of no use whatsoever, does it become the exact widget I need within days of throwing it way?
SWMBO doesn't like hoarding very much, so now I have a box in the workshop which she has labelled 'Neil's Ick' - I'm allowed to keep anything I want, as long as it fits in there. Unfortunately, it isn't a very big box...

Cheers,
Neil

Neil
There should be a clinic for people who have ‘The symptoms’ If I need a item to finish a job and that item cannot be found I am ‘blessed’ with total recall as to when a suitable item was last consigned to the bin. :?
If my wife throws something away, the item is deleted from her memory.

Doctor….

Alan

Philly":3v6s5n95 said:
So are you lot as bad as me when it comes to throwing out rubbish?
Much worse :|
Since I have my offcuts in 3 dustbins and 2 big buckets, my pile is just silly.
I really will make something out of those bits one day :roll:

Adam":3v6s5n95 said:
Perhaps I'll have to call on Aragorn to borrow his bandsaw :oops:
And after you've just posted the "My Own Fault" thread... :shock: :wink:

I am terrible-just took a closer look at the third photo down in the "dado safety guard" thread. Yes, there's another red plastic box of off-cuts hidden under the planer! :oops:
Pathetic-thats me!!

P. P. S. Even managed to get a couple of planes in the background for this?!

aint he a stinker...?? :p :lol:

umm....... no boxes but lord knows what's on the topmost shelves...

i like the way he tidies his shop ,just throws every thing in the corner :wink: :wink:

Hoarder? NEVER!
Everything in the waste box is just another potential "work of art"!
(Or some very good BBQ wood.)
:D

Back