Do you help me to understand??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

for many times I tried to purchase a scrub plane (Stanley #40) on Ebay but without to have the luck to win someone.
You could say that on Ebay there aren't good tools or it's easy to get bad transactions but, here in Italy, I have only this way.
Well let's came back on the question subject: Why scrub plane is a more wanted tool of all ?:shock: .

Please, help me to understand...

Gabriele,

Right, not sure if you want to know what a scrub gets used for, or why people are buying them all, so I'll attempt to cover both.

First of all a scrub is really only needed if you're converting rough sawn wood entirely by hand - I don't do that, so this is all theoretical. Whether you need a scrub or not really depends on the state of the wood you are using, in my opinion. If it's fairly square and straight and more or less the thickness you want, you can probably do just as well with a jack plane and save yourself the effort of planing out the marks of the scrub. However, if you need to remove a lot of wood, either to get down to a cetain thickness that you can't saw to for some reason, or to remove some serious cup or twist in the board, then the scrub comes in as a quick, but rough, wood remover. I tend to think of it as coming somewhere between an adze and a jack plane, although an adze is arguably capable of finer work in skilled hands than a scrub... (I now await correction from more knowledgable scrubbers)

Why are they all being snapped up? My guess is the Lie-Nielsen effect. I've noticed that often when L-N have come out with their version of a model, all the old versions suddenly get very popular. It certainly happened with the Record #073 shoulder plane quite noticeably. Presumably people thing "well, if they think it's good enough to be worth making new versions of, then it's worth buying the old ones". So they do. Also, largely because of L-N, scrub planes have had a lot more coverage in recent times than they used to, so increasing the market. My theory anyway.

Have you thought about making your own scrub plane? It's just about the easiest plane to make because you don't have to worry about the size of the mouth. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3lhkrsq9 said:
Have you thought about making your own scrub plane? It's just about the easiest plane to make because you don't have to worry about the size of the mouth. :D

Cheers, Alf

Many thanks Alf, You're always ready to answer to questions.
Yes, sometimes, I thought to make my own scrub plane changed an unmarked old plane (#4) which I own but I thought that I have not much ability to make one.
If you can send me some advices, will be much welcome. :D

The easiest way to make one from scratch is the "Krenov" style, with a central core and sides stuck on. I don't think there's information dedicated to a scrub, but you can adapt the idea without too much trouble I think. You'll want to include a handle to give yourself a decent grip - try the second link for information on that:

The original, College of the Redwoods plan
Norse Woodsmith's handled plane
Steve Knight
David Marks
Popular Mechanics
Popular Mechanics again
Lowes

Alternatively you could just file the mouth of the #4 open, put a big curve on the blade and away you go. More fun to make one though... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":249ifxr7 said:
Don't forget your MDF Geppetto! :lol:
Gabriele,
The mis-guided gloatus maximus refers to this abomination, which you may have fortunate enough to have avoided previously. Just goes to show you can use practically anything (if you can bear to...), and indeed that anyone can make one.... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Duckin' and runnin', Alf

Alf":3f0hl72v said:
Philly":3f0hl72v said:
Don't forget your MDF Geppetto! :lol:
Gabriele,
The mis-guided gloatus maximus refers to this abomination, which you may have fortunate enough to have avoided previously. Just goes to show you can use practically anything (if you can bear to...), and indeed that anyone can make one.... :roll: :wink: :lol:

Duckin' and runnin', Alf

Thanks Alf,

I was just thinking what Philly was saying :roll:

I see today is a very fanny day.. :lol:

What was I to do? Toss it out of The Tool Chest then and there? He wouldn't sell at all unless I kept them all together. ](*,) It's a pain, but sometimes you just have to suffer. :cry: I mean I really didn't want the #5 1/2 with the 2 1/4" blade, the Disstons, the Stanley #901 brace, the egg-handled Marples drawknife, the dozen or so gouges, the Stanley #R100 take down square or another router plane, but you just have to take the knocks and roll with 'em. :roll: Can't think how those links got there, btw... Some sort of 'puter glitch? :-k

Cheers, Alf

Just buy the Lee Valley scrub plane when it comes out -- you'll find a reason to use it.

Just buy the Lee Valley scrub plane when it comes out -- you'll find a reason to use it.

why wait... buy the L-N now.... it does exactly what it says on the tin.. first time, every time...

although an adze is arguably capable of finer work in skilled hands than a scrub...

<chokin....

you're serious right...??

ummmm.... first point... a scrub's every bit as adjustable as a smoother or any other plane for that matter... and I've yet to see any plane that'll take my leg off below the knee if I miss a stroke...

Why scrub plane is a more wanted tool of all ?

Gabriele..

my guess is that because the likes of Stanley didn't make too many of them in the first place, their scarsety puts a higher than normal value on them from a collectors point of view; I very much doubt that most of the people buying them know which ned of the blade to sharpen, much less how to use one in anger...

I posted my initial impressions of the L-N scrub here :-
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2121

any questions re how to use it.. don't be shy.....

Midnight":ybl4jwmh said:
....I very much doubt that most of the people buying them know which ned of the blade to sharpen, much less how to use one in anger...

Hi Midnight,

I have printed your link about first impression and I'll read it in a second time (I have to spend much time in translation) but, if it isn't too much, I'd wish to understand what means the term "ned" refered to the blade. I haven't tried nothing in web translation.
I think to have understood that it's very difficult sharpening a blade for the scrub plane, isn't it?

Midnight":6fyofrp5 said:
although an adze is arguably capable of finer work in skilled hands than a scrub...
<chokin....

you're serious right...??
Yes, I'm serious. Don't have a fit, Mike. Breathe man, breathe. :wink:

Midnight":6fyofrp5 said:
ummmm.... first point... a scrub's every bit as adjustable as a smoother or any other plane for that matter... and I've yet to see any plane that'll take my leg off below the knee if I miss a stroke...
May I leave the following for you consideration? Persons, notably the workshop of Robert Thompson (the Mouseman) use an adze to surface table tops and such. No-one in their right minds would use a scrub. The narrow, deep curve of the blade makes it a no-no, no? That's what I had in mind when I wrote.

Cheers, Alf

... Just buy the Lee Valley scrub plane when it comes out

why wait... buy the L-N now...

The most obvious reason to wait is the SPECTACULARLY lower cost of thew Lee Valley.

I wonder if Karl Holtey would make a scrub... or perhaps Wayne Anderson would be cheaper!

BugBear

I'd wish to understand what means the term "ned" refered to the blade. I haven't tried nothing in web translation.

Gabriele..

ned = Mk1 typo... it shoulda read "which end of the blade to sharpen"

Latest posts

Back