Do you do your woodworking in rented accommodation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
We live in our own flat and I do my woodworking indoors and on the balcony, and in summer, away from the building by the sheds. We're looking into renting our flat out and renting a house, but I wonder what landlords would think if they knew I was doing woodworking in the house, and also the neighbours! I can get a decent distance away from all buildings here when I work by the sheds, but in our own rented garden, I wouldn't, because houses are all so crammed together. Even in a garage, would neighbours hear me and complain? The money I make from my woodworking business is what would pay for the rent, so if they made me stop, it would be reeeeeally bad and we'd have to leave!

Neighbours vary, mine can almost certainly hear me when I use powertools in my garage, no one has complained. I can hear others, I can hear their lawnmowers, their presure washers, their cars and their children - I have not of those except a lawnmower which is not powered. As for the landlord, you are best off asking him before you sign a contract.

I would have thought that any problems you may experience from neighbours / landlords by pursuing a hobby such as woodworking will pale by comparison to the grief involved if a landlord caught you carrying on a manufacturing business in a rented residential property. I won't pretend I know the law in this regard, but it seems highly unlikely it would be allowed without change of usage, commercial rates etc. etc.
I don't know what kind of woodwork you do but if you're planning on paying your rent with the proceeds you must either be doing a lot of it or getting pretty highly paid (or the rents in Eastbourne are extremely reasonable). I think you would be well advised to think this through carefully before committing to a rental agreement under these circumstances - get this wrong with a hardliner landlord and you could find yourself without a home with very little notice! As above, best ask first - he may turn a blind eye, but after you've moved in would be a bad time to find out he won't.

I have my workbench set up in the spare room of our flat. It gets a light hobby use and the only power tool I use is a drill driver so it goes unnoticed.

The previous tenants to me were live in illustrators and artists and worked from home painting. I assume because they made no noise or mess there was no issue so I strive for the same thing.

My landlord had no issue with them working at home but they did seek permission first and declared everything through the relevant channels re: registered business and tax etc.

Doesn't concern me though as I only do it for fun.

Back