Do theese cutter knives protrude too far?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
I am getting the old machine together.

When I put the cutter knives in place I had to screw them out this far in order to make the edges protrude outside the gibs. The gibs are new but have excaktly the same dimensions as the old ones and were ordered as original spare parts for this model.

Still I just remember my old vocational school teacher telling that the knives need good support from the back and should not protrude too much. None of the planers and thicknessers I have worked on before has had knives protruding this much.

Does it look all right?
Stenberg 38.JPG

Attachments

• Stenberg 38.JPG
    Stenberg 38.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 233
I would assume it is Ok as if the knives did not protrude that far, the edge would be lower than the chip breaker.

Bob

That looks about right my Robland P/T has the knives set at about that height also.

As long as the knives are set correctly to the bed you'll be fine there's plenty of cutter in the block :D

Dave

9fingers":ne80b2ue said:
I would assume it is Ok as if the knives did not protrude that far, the edge would be lower than the chip breaker.

Bob
But if the chip breaker (wedge) has been pulled up.....

has that happened?

there looks to be a lot of knife above the back seating of the actual block
in my experience the back bevel of the knife should be just a little higher than the main body of the block

Looks to me if the knives are to thin, if they where thinker it would push the chip breaker further back reducing the protrusion. or you have the wrong chip breakers. there does seem to be quite a gap on the other side do you need all that to adjust and tighten?

cutting solutions":213c19bq said:
9fingers":213c19bq said:

Bob
But if the chip breaker (wedge) has been pulled up.....

has that happened?

there looks to be a lot of knife above the back seating of the actual block
in my experience the back bevel of the knife should be just a little higher than the main body of the block

Doug, I'm sure you have a much wider knowledge on this than I have. Chip breakers on the machines I have have a tapered section and so naturally got to the bottom of the slot when the clamps are tightened. I suppose they could have been packed up.
It does look from the photo however as if they have parallel sides. I wonder if the knives are original??

Bob

There is nothing original about this.

The old gibs were completely mashed so theese were ordered as original spare parts from a one-man company that still provides spare parts for this brand of machinery. They have the same measurements as the old gibs so that would indicate that the old gibs were original.

The cutter knives are new but ordered to measurements that I found in the manual for a slightly newer machine of the same type (1963 and onwards). Older pre-war models also had similar knives so I find it likely that mine also should have them. The knives that came with it were obviously missfitting replacements.

I have tried my best and keep worrying if that was good enough.

Back