Do many hobbyists own planer thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have one but I would like one. No doubt I will get one sometime. Of course I will then have to get some power in my workshop; this electrickery is the devil's work I tell you!

Interesting, I always thought that dust extraction was required for a PT for not only the obvious mess, but also to prevent chippings getting stamped into the material from the rollers. Not something I have noticed with hardwoods, but I have certainly seen little dents in softwood, and attributed it to the above (as my extraction is a shop vac :( )

Wow, quite a response. As pointed out, i should've referred to Woodworkers, rather than DIYers.

To echo other posters, In school I couldn't manage with hand tools, and I have no interest in spending hours upon hours learning how to use hand planes and hours upon hours using them thereafter.

To date I've managed with sheet goods together with limited use of machined timber, but looking to expand into other projects involving hardwoods.

Having a PT doesn't remove the need for hand planing. If you have a board in wind, for instance, you still need to flatten it.

Another one here Dewalt 1150 - nice kit, would recommend if you see one up for sale - proper cast beds, good size - 10 inch wide drum. £300- 400 mark but worth it.

I don't use it that often partly because I don't do a lot of long / wide items, but when I do - I'm sure glad I have it - Like planing up something like 100 reclaimed floorboards for a friend (which earned me more than the cost back).

MikeG.":1z0trh0m said:
Having a PT doesn't remove the need for hand planing. If you have a board in wind, for instance, you still need to flatten it.

Well, I find that both boards in wind and bowed with a little practice and good technique can be flattened easily and successfully on a PT. I do use a scrub plane if the stuff is very big and heavy just to reduce the effort of lugging it backwards and forwards.

MikeG.":1ndgmitf said:

If I am dealing with something in wind/twisted on the PT I sometimes stand at the out feed side and start with part of the timber flat on the out feed table and pull it towards me, do this a few times then swap it end to end and repeat, it kind of erases the twist if that makes sense.

deema":krpof3ly said:
MikeG.":krpof3ly said:

Well, I find that both boards in wind and bowed with a little practice and good technique can be flattened easily and successfully on a PT. I do use a scrub plane if the stuff is very big and heavy just to reduce the effort of lugging it backwards and forwards.
Yes with some dexterity you can take the corners off to remove the wind. Don't need a particularly long bed for that.

MikeG.":uqv59wou said:
Isn't it the aim of the planer to do that ? I agree that for extremely twisted boards a scrub plane is useful to knock of the high spots, but never had issues flattening twisted boards with a "standard" PT. Just need to be careful about the board positioning.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Lons":upto67qh said:
I can't say I enjoy using a planer thicknesser, noisy, messy and certainly don't get the buzz of satisfaction I get as a sharp handplane "sings" across the wood surface

I suppose I am a bit of a lunatic, but I quite like using the planer. If anything, for me it's a bit like therapy sometimes... Just you, the machine purring and the sound of wood being cut, wonderful.

Back