Do I need to do this glue-up again?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Baball A permanent mechanical solution is what's needed to keep it flat, by either screwing it down permanently to something stiff or fitting breadboard ends.

Otherwise you'll just be moving it backwards and forwards to the garage and wiping it with a damp rag for the rest of your days.

Plus, it's nearly time to deliver that Christmas gift.

Just putting weight on the board itself is probably a poor choice, get another board (anything will do from MDF throgh plywood to any species that you have available ) on stickers onto your project board then any weights of anything onto that board. I personally would have an inexpensive fan blowing on the stack for a few days.

You will find that a moisture meter will help a lot, even the cheapest ones will give a good guide to the difference in surface moisture between boards in your garage and in the house, they won’t be accurate as to the exact level but then you don’t need that, you just need to find out the difference and for that they are excellent.

As to taking wood out to work on it and bringing it in, that’s a good choice. Also once joints are cut fitting them together asap even if you aren’t gluing them is a good idea.

Is this ok? The only thing I had that is about the same size is my router table. It's got 30kg of weights on it.

PXL_20211221_095031189.jpg

I'll take a look at the moisture meters, thanks for the tip.

@Baball A permanent mechanical solution is what's needed to keep it flat, by either screwing it down permanently to something stiff or fitting breadboard ends.

Otherwise you'll just be moving it backwards and forwards to the garage and wiping it with a damp rag for the rest of your days.

Plus, it's nearly time to deliver that Christmas gift.

Thanks Adam. Unfortunately another part of the project hasn't gone as well as I'd like so it will be a few weeks before I get to install this panel in its final position. It means this will no longer be a Christmas present, which actually works out better as it needs to go where the Christmas tree currently is!

Is this ok? The only thing I had that is about the same size is my router table. It's got 30kg of weights on it.

View attachment 124726

I'll take a look at the moisture meters, thanks for the tip.
That fine, though I would add a 3rd set of stickers in the middle, and just pile on top any tools or other stuff not in use at the moment, if that is all the spare stuff you have in your garage I’m not sure that you qualify as a genuine diy man🤪

So, an update in case it might be useful.

I didn't get to leave the panel in that setup for too long; it turned out I had agreed my workbench, a former dining table, could be used at Christmas so had to take everything apart. Having nowhere else to leave the panel I moved it inside where it has been leaning against a wall so as to allow air to both sides. The overall result? Success! The panel is now flat again, and hopefully well acclimatised, so fingers crossed any movement will be kept to a minimum. Although, I'm fully expecting to learn some more lessons from this piece.

Thank you to everyone for the advice.

yes, the one I use the most is a 0.6mm thick one, I like the thin ones more, mine is a cheap bacho one, I would hope the veritas would be better

I got a Bahco one in the end so that I could give it a go. I've been really pleased with it and it has certainly made me want to continue investing in hand tooling, it is nice to work without needing ear defenders. It came sharp enough for me but then I have nothing to compare it to, so learning to sharpen is now on the list of jobs :)

If the glue chalked off, I'd do it over. Takes less than five minutes to rip it down the glue line, tidy with a plane, and reglue it.

Back