Do I need P2 or P3 respirator filter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, im just after a little advice on this. Started to notice a bit of throat irritation after doing some work on maple, and I havent been using a mask so need to get one.

Looking at them theres a choice of P2 and P3. Apparently the smaller particles are actually the most dangerous. It says P2 is for mechanically generated particles and P3 says its for use with mechanically & thermally generated particles. I wonder if it means a single degree of mechanically generated particles or whether P3 offers greater protection for this as well.

I've found a mask I like the look of that only takes P2 filters, would this be okay for me? I think the smallest particles I create are from sanding, which I try to keep to a minimum.

Thank you.

I'd go for the P3 filter- as this offers the protection I think you're seeking.

I use a 3M 7500 half mask respirator which can take P2 or P3 filters. I purchased P3 filters as my greatest conccern was fine particles, particularly from cutting and sanding MDF. It can get a little hot and sweaty (when we have a summer - like now!) with extended wear but not uncomfortably so.

Mike

Thats the other one I was considering, its been between 3M 7500 and Trend Airace, which seems like itd be easier to breath with, its just a shame the maximum is P2 level.

I have the 3M 7500 half mask and you can get the P3 respirator pads for that, they seem to be about £6 per pair. Not cheap but lees than buying a new pair of lungs.

I was advised by a professional turner to go for P3, when I was doing a days training with him.

Hugh

Thanks. I decided the P2 would be okay for now.

In future I think I might even look at the air fed models if I can afford it.

Hi

Just come across this post and thouight might add my two penny worth.

Indeed a P3 filter is best and it has smaller mesh and other parts that make up the filter, But (isn't there always a but), if you buy the wrong size mask and thus will not fit the contors of your face, especiall when you move your head about then even the P3 filter will not work and the atmospheric air and micro particles will get through the gaps. In addition, if the masks fit well as you have got the right size; being unshaven for a day or two will again reduce the effectivness of the seal and allow the fine micro particles to enter the mask and thus into your respiratory system.

So if you are contantly use you mask, it may be prudent to get a face fit test done and alway check the condition of the mask and replace the filters on a regular basis to ensure you get the best from the mask and filter. I use a half face mask nearly every day at work. In addition you should not really use the mask for more than two hours at a time for comfort and to reduce build up in the mask.

Hope this helps

Regards

Richard

Regards

Richard

Back