Do I need a palm sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ives

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the type of thing I make, and I need to sand the face of them, the flat part, so I can paint and woodburn, and get rid of marks and dirt from the timberyard and their planing machine, etc. Currently I use my 25mm wide sanding belt, which is just getting ridiculous. It's too narrow and so it makes grooves and I have to move the piece back and forth, back and forth, and I don't think that's what it's meant for. SOOOO do I need a palm sander? Is this what one is for? I don't have space for a bigger belt and disc sander, though I'd love one. I'm hoping a palm sander will be what I need. And if so, is a cheap £15 one from Tesco or Argos good or do I really need to get a good one, it's for my business.

Examples:

ba317bfd-0d86-49e6-89ba-9326539e296b_zps5963f947.jpg

What it is wrong with a block and paper, and sand before cutting? They look smaller than a pad area. I should say I don't have a sander as I do it all by hand so bit of a ludite only becaused I haven't got around to buying something and not sure what to buy ..cheap or expensive...like you a bit. I have thought about buying one though. Interested to see your replies. There were vey cheap ones in Wikes recently. Best wishes.

I've never heard of a sheet sander, is it the same as a palm sander but bigger? Does it all refer to the percentage of a sheet?

Also, I think I've heard that palm sanders (and I'm supposing sheet sanders too) work in such a motion that they don't leave sanding lines?

Yes one third of a sheet : 1/3 sheet sander. Click on the link in my previous post. None of them should leave lines.

Just a word of warning - with small shapes like that, especially the ones with points, you'll be forever replacing torn sandpaper on almost any palm or similar sander. DAMHIKT!
I'm probably the world's laziest woodworker, but for items like that would suggest either belt sander or hand work.

Oh great. I was also going to ask how easy it is to hold onto a small shape and sand it with this sander. Not so easy I guess? I might buy one and give it a try. If it doesn't work I can bring it back?

I would get a 1/3 sheet sander and give the wood a sand before cutting makes life easier then you can just give a light sanding once cut out .
the 2 main differences between a cheap and expesive sander are how long they last and the cheaper ones can vibrate a lot .

woodaxed":1i9eooj7 said:
I would get a 1/3 sheet sander and give the wood a sand before cutting makes life easier then you can just give a light sanding once cut out .
the 2 main differences between a cheap and expesive sander are how long they last and the cheaper ones can vibrate a lot .

Good idea!

Are the sheets velcro'd on or is it that horrible rubbish that doesn't come off like my disc sander?

Ives":1pdcrqpg said:
woodaxed":1pdcrqpg said:

Good idea!

Are the sheets velcro'd on or is it that horrible rubbish that doesn't come off like my disc sander?

On the cheaper ones they will have a clamp system that you fold the paper into. You'll have to spend a bit more if you want velcro. The velcro sheets are more expensive so if economy is paramount perhaps best with the clamps.

mine takes both velcro and it has clamps i tend to use the clamps as i can choose the paper that i want to use it doesnt take long after you have done a few. the velcro sheets normally have punched holes in them so you can use a dust extractor or vacuum with them tbh ive seen a jig made from a couple of peices of wood and some short but tubby screws that you can use to punch your own holes with

twothumbs":29kzqhfv said:
What it is wrong with a block and paper, and sand before cutting?

This to me seems to be the easiest option. Sand the material before cutting the shapes to remove all the marks, then cut the shapes which will then only need a small amount of finishing sanding. To hold the cut pieces for major sanding is going to be difficult - you could make some sort of socket for each shape to support while sanding, but that would be very fiddly and probably not very effective.

Misterfish

I reckon sanding before cutting is the way forward as suggested above.
If you do want to get a powered sander (and if you make a lot of those shapes I can understand why you would) then I would go with Lewis and suggest a belt sander. A little more expensive to begin with, but should do the job quicker, I find the paper tends to last longer too. Either use it hand held with a non-slip router mat or clamped upside down in the vice or to the bench.

Just had a look at the handheld belt sander. The width of the belt is about 70mm and the width of the belts on the 1/3 sanders are 90mm. If I got the belt sander, wouldn't I be in a similar position I am in now, with a too narrow belt sander? Or whatever I get, unless it's huge, I will always have something bigger than my sander? Thinking out loud here!

I have a palm sander and belt sander

I wouldn't use either on those pieces to be honest, just a flat surface and a sheet of sandpaper.

Why not go to a professional woodworker who can supply you with some wood planed to size and them sand it through their big professional machine , you can then cut it and do what you want with it . ( Or you can probably ask for their sanded offcuts free of charge ! ) Doing it this way will probably be approx. the same price as buying little bits of expensive hardwood at the DIY store .

I make these and sell them in large quantities, daily, so I can't do it all by hand! I need tools to help me do it quicker! I buy all my wood at a timber yard, planed. But it needs to be sanded because sometimes the planers make marks, or there is dirt, and also it needs some sanding before it's painted so it takes the paint better. This is my business, and it's growing by the month, and it's just me doing it, so I need anything to make it easier and quicker!

Ives":ggh2v49u said:
I make these and sell them in large quantities, daily, so I can't do it all by hand! I need tools to help me do it quicker! I buy all my wood at a timber yard, planed. But it needs to be sanded because sometimes the planers make marks, or there is dirt, and also it needs some sanding before it's painted so it takes the paint better. This is my business, and it's growing by the month, and it's just me doing it, so I need anything to make it easier and quicker!

Then you need a quality 1/3 sheet sander and sand the wood before cutting as others have said. A belt or orbital sander would be too aggressive. I would also invest in a reasonable wet/dry vac and attach it to the sander.

Back