Do companies have to honour an ebay sale ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Power

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive bought a dewalt laser off ebay and the company have refunded paypal without my knowledge. Do they have to honour the sale ?

probably, but if the one that you bought was mysteriously damaged when they came to pack it and therefore not in a saleable condition, then they will claim to have done the right thing. You will probably find that it is unenforcable.

You can't force anyone to sell anything and you can't force anyone to pay for something they have bid on. All this "contracts in law" is in practice just hot air. The best you can do is never buy again from that seller or ban non-paying bidders from your listings.

you cant even leave a non-paying bidder negative feedback these days.

The reality is that the seller probably thought that you were getting too good a deal, so put it back up for sale.

My most recent eBay frustration is buyer in Germany who bid and won £140 item, he paid for it with PayPal and then, after I'd posted it, wrote wanting to withdraw and cancel the sale. He'd not read the description until too late and didn't realise it was the wrong lens for his camera! I've refused but I fully expect to lose out in the long run. Just waiting for the next instalment. :(

It may be different for a business selling a lot of items, or buying them very cheap, and so making a good margin, but the hassle and expense of selling a few bits on ebay, I find that it just isnt worth doing.

This is a commercial seller which states in their terms and conditions that the buyer can not cancell once theyve commited to purchase, so seems a bit off that theyre doing exactly that :evil: after Id paid

Alan,

You have my sympathy, and I agree completely with what you say, it is wrong. But there is probably pipper all that you can do about it.

Mark

Ebay won't be remotely interested. Which means you'd have to take action yourself to find out if you could legally enforce the Sale. Which isn't worth the bother and expense.

Alan,

There may be a genuine reason why they have done what they have done and until you hear from them you just don't know. Having said that, I think they should have contacted you at the same time they did the refund i.e. immediately, and given you an explanation.

I assume you have contacted them to ask what is going on. I would give them a day to respond and then maybe call them on the phone. Their phone number will be on the listing if they are a business seller.

If you don't get a satisfactory response I would report them to eBay. Don't take any notice of people who say eBay don't care - they do, it's just that we are never party to what happens to other members' accounts and so it often looks like eBay are not doing anything.

I think it is important to report these things. If they are in the habit of doing it, you won't know and neither will eBay if you don't tell them, so let them know so they can take whatever action is appropriate, but as I say, give the firm a chance to explain themselves first.

You also have the option of bad feedback of course, but whatever you do, don't threaten them with it. eBay seriously frowns on such behavior, whoever is at fault and it will only harm your case.

Let us know how you get on.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2l5bwczv said:
Don't take any notice of people who say eBay don't care - they do, it's just that we are never party to what happens to other members' accounts and so it often looks like eBay are not doing anything.

regards

Brian
I reported a trader who was adding VAT to the final bid price, which is against Ebay rules. After three tries I gave up and they are still stating VAT will be added to the final price.

This isn't the only time Ebay have either ignored messages or replied with a meaningless, stock email.

........ or replied with a meaningless, stock email.
I'm sure they have a crib sheet of assorted sentences from which they copy and paste. Most of the time the answers I've received were useless.

A lot of people will list their items elsewhere and then if two different people buy it from different websites give preference to the one that paid the most. Again this is wrong but difficult to prove.

James C":2gdg758f said:
A lot of people will list their items elsewhere and then if two different people buy it from different websites give preference to the one that paid the most. Again this is wrong but difficult to prove.
Some, foolishly, openly admit it in the description and say they 'reserve the right to withdraw the item' if it sells elsewhere. I never waste my time with those twits.

Clearly a few people disagree with my suggestion to report the matter to eBay if you can't get a satisfactory response from the seller, however, I maintain that it is still in everyones best interest to do so.

Alan,

Has the seller given you an explanation yet?

regards

Brian

brianhabby":2xdyvjc7 said:
Clearly a few people disagree with my suggestion to report the matter to eBay if you can't get a satisfactory response from the seller, however, I maintain that it is still in everyones best interest to do so.

Alan,

Has the seller given you an explanation yet?

regards

Brian

I dont disgree with you Brian. I don't think it will do any good, but they cant act if it is not reported. Like reporting it to the police when somebody breaks your wing mirror- if it isn't reported they cant establish whether there is a pattern etc and act.

Back