DMT 3 Micron Dia Sharp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
The thing that's always put me off using diamond stones as the basis for my sharpening is that there's no really fine polishing grit. However, I see DMT has a 3 micron/8000 mesh diamond stone on a useful 8" x 3" plate.

http://www.buybrandtools.com/acatalog/D ... _D8EE.html

Two questions to anyone with hands on experience of this particular stone,

1. Does it genuinely give a polished finish?
2. They emphasise on the DMT site, use only water as a lubricant. Would the sky really fall down if I used WD40 or some light oil?

Thanks

Never used the stone, but I have used water, oil and WD40 (whatever's to hand really, as I use it on site too) on my diamond stone, with no ill effects as far as I can tell - it still sharpens as well as it ever has.

Cheers

Karl

I have a full set of the 8x3 Dia Sharps, and I have to say that the XX Fine doesn't really seem to give a properly polished edge. It sure gives a nice edge, but its not as polished as you could get from a strop.

I've used water and mineral oil on mine, and have never had any issues. They're an excellent product!

Thanks Trizza, nothing beats first hand feedback, DMT say the XX Fine stone improves with use, giving a progressively finer finish over time. Have you seen this?

I use diamond stones, mainly DMT and the large trend version. I swear by them. But like Trizza I also use a strop to do the final polishing. I might give the xx fine type a go though.

custard":1jvcacxu said:
Thanks Trizza, nothing beats first hand feedback, DMT say the XX Fine stone improves with use, giving a progressively finer finish over time. Have you seen this?

All of the stones "lose their edge" after a while - at first you'll find them to be extremely aggressive, even scratchy, but they settle in after a few uses as the sharp edges of the diamonds round over. They get slower, but the edge they give will be more consistent and sharper. So I wouldn't be surprised if the XX Fine gets better and better over time. I can't say I've really noticed it myself though!

I've found that the most effective sharpening technique, for me, on DMT stones is not the conventional method with a guide. I freehand with the blade at 90 degrees to the usual direction, so I'm sharpening from corner to corner. On a normal stone this would lead to unacceptable wear, but on DMT this is a super consistent and quick way to do it :) The stones make so little mess that with this technique I can leave the Fine on my benchtop while I'm working for quick touchups (esp of chisels).

Latest posts

Back