Dml headstock knocking sound.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed-fish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Been a while since i was able to get to the lathe. Whilst making some simple small boxes i developed a knocking sound. It was coming from the headstock end. On investigstion i found that the lower pulley on the motor spindle was sliding back and fore. Is this meant to happen to line up the belts with the pulley above? My old cl3's pulleys didnt move so im not sure why this one is. Any tips on stopping the knocking / tightening up the pulley greatly apreciated.
Thanks
Ed

No, this shouldn't happen. The pulleys lock the shaft with a grub screw - there are often two of them, the top one to lock the second in place, so someone at some point may have mistakenly tightened just the top one.

Many thanks. I was sure it shouldnt move. I'll look at tightening the screws today. Should the bottom pulley be aligned with the top or slightly offset to the faster end... big ring on motor spindle more lined up with small ring on top If im doing more high speed stuff?
Thanks again for your advice

Excellent! I don't think you want to offset them, for what it's worth - not sure if Bad Things will happen but mine are definitely happy being bang in line with each other.

Back