DML 305 Record Power Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelB

Reaction score
Have I just been unlucky...?
I've just opened up the lathe for the fourth time to tighten up the grub screw that locates the indexing ring. I accept this is a cheap lathe, but is this indicative of the sort of quality? The lathe needed a new set of bearings within the first month; the index ring has 1/4" slots in it-the shaft to lock it is 6mm and tapered: slop doesn't describe it. The head and tail stock are +/- 1mm out along the travel of the tail stock quill.
Having re-kindled my interest in woodturning I am tempted to upgrade: the Herald being in contention. I don't have space for more than a "midi" lathe. Is it that "midi"s are made for the cheap end of the market? The KS Pro seems a neat bit of kit: I accept its 4 times the price but is it likely to be better made?

I think you have. I've had my DML305 for 18 months and was surprised how well it performed for such low cost. No real issues, bearings fine, alignment seems fine. I do have the same issue with the Spindle lock as you describe. Only used it a couple of times, replaced the supplied pin with a push in home made bush and pin wooden version.

It's been back for the bearings: I had a clockmaker pal fabricate a peg that fitted the index wheel. I could remove the quill again as I suspect it's slightly bent, the engineering is crude. Having had a conversation with Record I am assured the Herald is "their" design, whereas I suspect the 305 is simply badged.

Back