DM Tool show Kempton Park October

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahomo59

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm after upgrading some of my kit, Impact Driver, Drill, Jigsaw, Circular saw all 18v and possibly a 10.8v set ;) i'm a big fan of Dewalt and most of my kit is this...not every bodies cup of tea, but hey it works for me.
So advice needed on the Tool show etc, are they good for discounts or should i just haggle the shops etc. It's just 60 days away and i can just about hang on!!!

Cheers

James

Can be a bit hit or miss on special offers in my experience James. I believe the prices are set by D&M Tools so manufacturers don't have the freedom to do their own special deals beyond that as I understand it.

It's great to see all the different products and manufacturers and make comparisons, and you may be lucky and get some decent offers, sometimes free add-in's more than discounts, but do your research beforehand so you know the best prices on the net for what you want. One year recently I was looking to buy a Fein multi-tool but found that show "special" prices were about fifty quid more than best price elsewhere !

Last year I couldn't get the DeWalt guys to do anything for me on a mains powered drill I was after, they seemed quite disinterested in my business actually, so I didn't bother and bought a Makita online afterwards instead at quite a saving to the show prices again !

Cheers, Paul

Hi in reply to the question I have been going to the show for a number of years I only go to view never buy the prices are set by the D&m tools the stock is theirs from there store if you are looking to replace tools I find eBay the best there's a lot of sellers all desperate for your business and service in General is 5 star I have also noticed tools that get launched at a show are on eBay the day after a lot cheaper.but it is a day out regards and good luck

Interesting. I've been to the D&M show now for 7 years running. I find it very useful indeed for reviewing the different types of tool and also different competitors in the same market. I also like the fact this is in a setting where many are being demo'd live so you can overcome the "snake oil salesman" problem of marketing depts with a hard-on and judge the tools up close and personal. You can see for yourself in the flesh whether or not they're appropriate for your needs. Most of the vendors will let you use them yourself.

Because its popular and well established, it also has all the major vendors represented (in force). So if Makita, dewalt, festool, Mafell, Tormek, Lie Nielsen etc etc etc are launching a new innovation, you can guarantee it will be on show.

Its a total breeze to get there since its a blip up the M3 and sufficiently far outside London to avoid the major South Circular traffic.

It's quite simply my favourite tool show in the South. Can't speak for shows in the North but I've been to all the Southern ones and it beats the pants off them all.

As an adjunct. As Paul has mentioned, you may find superior bargains online beyond the show. My experience is that you can also expect some serious bargains at the show itself. For example, I bought my startrite planar/thicknesser for £200 below market at the show which was delivered in 3 days. A friend of mine bought a bandsaw for a similar discount. I've bought all my Bessey Revo clamps from the show because of package deals they do.

Bottom line...its worth the trip. Just setting aside the bargains for 5 seconds, just the ability to see everything you've read about but actually live is worth its weight. Parking is easy and entrance plus parking is free. I went to the screwfix show in Farnbro 2 weeks back which is clearly pitched against the D&M gig. It was rubbish. All "tarts and catalogues". Bling and front! The D&M show is for woodworkers....unashamedly and the frequency of live demonstration really makes that clear.

I am part of the BriMarc team and we have a stand at this show. As I have attended in this capacity for many years I felt I should comment on this thread.

The D+M event is a free show, with loads of demonstrations and easy parking/access. From feedback I have had from consumers it is most worthwhile. Even if you don't find what you want it is worth a visit. From the discussion above you have almost nothing to lose.

Martin

Well, I am going. There are things I want ( want, not need ) but even if I do not buy them I am looking forward to actually seeing these things in the flesh.
I want to look at the Festool OF 1400. The Kapex versus the Bosch axial glide. Stuff like that. I have read about them and want to see for myself.

I just hope its not so crowded that I cannot get near the stands.

Went along today, there are some good deals going. Big purchases in general the discounts weren't stellar, but for smaller items you can grab yourself a bargain. I picked up some Irwin XP clamps on buy one get one free (and the price was already lower than retail), some Bessey clamps at about a 20% discount and also a new Freud TS blade at a 30% discount. Stuff like clamps seemed to go early, so I'd recommend hunting at the start of the day if you're looking to buy.

Back