DIY WIP FYI ETC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwibble

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Chad. I've found this forum very useful so thought I'd join in and post a few pics. I warn you that this post contains no fine woodworking, mearly rough hacking of cheap softwoods & mdf.

Decided to replace the back gate last weekend, it was it's 100th anniversary this year and it was a looking a little tired.
4306697013_66425f97b5.jpg

My better half got on with something much more important:
4306693555_14e8cd104c.jpg

Whilst I gathered together some T&G boards a hardpoint saw and a Stanley mitre block and started to make sawdust.
4307448024_285940c863.jpg

Door and marmalade finished, I moved onto cutting a hole in the ceiling and insulating the loft. Whilst my darling wife painted the gate. Results below:
4306690681_edd6398f42.jpg

4307443032_e3c16e2c41.jpg

Quite pleased overall. Although the Bosch DMF 10 cable/metal/wood detector proved rather difficult to use, detecting wires all over the place, so I foolishly ignored it and took an educated guess at a safe area.

Monday evening hung the door reusing the old hinges. Job done.
4307449446_a58b7d7266.jpg

Hi Chad, that door looks a very good job indeed ! Did you prime the bare wood first or just put the top coat straight on ? Softwood has the horrible tendency to rot even in the tongues and grooves if not treated properly.

The Bosch DMF 10.......... I bought the same one a while back. Went to use it on site and couldn't make heads or tails of what it was supposed to be detecting. I've ended up taking it home, along with the instruction book to try and figure out how the damn thing works :evil: At £50-£60 i thought it was going to be a dramatic improvement on the £25 one. It wasn't to be though :lol:

Simon

Glad you like the gate, I (or more correctly, my wife) gave it a coat of combined primer/undercoat, then one coat of gloss. I'll planned to give it another coat of gloss but it's been raining for the last 6 days in Liverpool : (

Treated the hinges to a scrub with a wire brush and a coat of hammerite, good for another 100 years I hope!

Interested to hear your comments on the Bosch. I really struggled, but am hoping I get more used to it in time. That or read through Toolstops returns policy..

and the Seville marmalade is delicious! Although it didn't quite set. It's a bit like runny honey.

Welcome to the Forum Quibble. You got a sensayumer. You'll need it, but you fit right in.

Nice job on the door, a joint (NPI) effort it seems. It seems your other half is as tolerant and helpful as mine. Lucky are we not?

The marmalade looks good too. My SWIMBO's speciality is chutneys!

And I thought it was always raining in Liverpool. At least it always is when I go there!

:D

Regards
John :wink:

Qwibble":77q63krx said:
and the Seville marmalade is delicious! Although it didn't quite set. It's a bit like runny honey.

Glad to hear that - SWMBO is complaining that her marmalade hasn't set. Must be something to do with the weather :)
Certainly couldn't have been that she misread the recipe.......

Qwibble

Welcome to the forum. Like the gate it's spurred me on to get mine done this summer, been meaning to do it for years now.

Benchwayze":1ldi2j9b said:
Welcome to the Forum Quibble. You got a sensayumer. You'll need it, but you fit right in.

Nice job on the door, a joint (NPI) effort it seems. It seems your other half is as tolerant and helpful as mine. Lucky are we not?

The marmalade looks good too. My SWIMBO's speciality is chutneys!

And I thought it was always raining in Liverpool. At least it always is when I go there! :

Thanks John, lucky indeed. I was nice though and set the gate up inside for painting : )

It's blooming snowed today! Took train to Rugby for the day - got back to the park and ride and had to get me 1" Marples splitproof out to hack the ice off the windscreen!

Cheers Waka - I've been in this house four years with a rotten back gate. But I'm selling up and moving out and that's what has precipitated this flurry of DIY.

Latest posts

Back