DIY Vertical Panel Saw Work in Progress (with pics) UPDATE!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently sold my large table saw to make some room in the workshop, I have decided to have a go at making a sliding vertical panel saw so here is a few pics of work in progress.

JKukIh.jpg

CqendC.jpg

xTFnpe.jpg

s8tNuq.jpg

And so it continues!

jYIBAY.jpg

keiGPT.jpg

And so it continues!

Not sure just yet as I have to have room each end to start and finish the cut, but hopefully 8ft x 4ft just.

Interesting, look forward to seeing it progress.

Off and on (while daydreaming) I have been thinking of ways to make a vertical setup for a tracksaw. Partly to save the need for an 8x4 work surface when breaking down sheet goods and also so you only need 1 saw and you can use your track for the vertical or standard horizontal use.

Why the lock screws on the saw bars? I would have expected them on the horizontals unless I have misunderstood the design.

Rorschach":3mvw0kvk said:

Off and on (while daydreaming) I have been thinking of ways to make a vertical setup for a tracksaw. Partly to save the need for an 8x4 work surface when breaking down sheet goods and also so you only need 1 saw and you can use your track for the vertical or standard horizontal use.

The only problem I see is holding the saw in the track when vertical, if you want to be able to use the track as it won't be held, unless you physically hold it in the track while in use?

Inspector":35p8sfnx said:
With the saw parallel to the floor you would set the stops at a given height to cut along the length of the sheet.

Pete
But the saw isn't perpendicular to those rails. Am I having a serious red wine induced brain failure here?

LancsRick":2fv79le3 said:
But the saw isn't perpendicular to those rails. Am I having a serious red wine induced brain failure here?

Look in the first post and at the forth and fifth pictures. Picture four shows the carriage without the saw and there is a cross cutout. Picture five shows the saw in the cutout for cutting vertically. Remove and turn the saw 90º and drop it back in the other half of the cross and it can cut horizontally. Make sense now?

Pete

seaco":1t7y8j86 said:
Rorschach":1t7y8j86 said:

The only problem I see is holding the saw in the track when vertical, if you want to be able to use the track as it won't be held, unless you physically hold it in the track while in use?

The system would be set at a slight angle so gravity would help keep the saw on the track. But yes at the moment the idea is that you would hold the saw in place, maybe with some kind of "sky hook" type system to help off set the weight of the saw.

Rorschach":3qx6yvyw said:
seaco":3qx6yvyw said:
Rorschach":3qx6yvyw said:

The system would be set at a slight angle so gravity would help keep the saw on the track. But yes at the moment the idea is that you would hold the saw in place, maybe with some kind of "sky hook" type system to help off set the weight of the saw.
Lol! Hands up anyone that has been sent out to get a bag of those before =;

Interesting project, will you be incorporating counter weights to offset the weight of the saw and carriage?

Looks really interesting, with an elegant design.

If you had sufficient roof overhang, could a waterproofed oversize frame be mounted on the outside of the building for 8x4+ sheets - carry out the saw-mount, hang off the rails, and cut away? Clearly only in ok weather and with understanding neighbours, but perhaps an option for people with even less space.

Selwyn":1veu4jqc said:
Well done but looks like a hassle compared to a track saw!

Only while it's made.

will1983":1veu4jqc said:
Interesting project, will you be incorporating counter weights to offset the weight of the saw and carriage?

It will have to be some kind of long spring.

Back