DIY sandblasting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
In my enthusiasm for all things air-powered I thought I'd try out the sandblasting gun from Machine Mart as well.

I found that the sand blocked up the hose within seconds rendering the gun useless. The sand seems dry (will try the moisture meter on it) but after emptying the hose several times and re-trying still it gets blocked up.

Am I flogging the proverbial dead camel on this one? Sigh....sounds like another trip to MM :cry:

Roger

How big's your compressor? Sand blasting requires a lot of puff.....

If you want to try something amazing get yourself a small 1/4in (or 3/8in) reversing drill - they are astoundingly fast for drilling and screwdriving :lol:

Scrit

It's this one.

The Bandit does put out the required pressure but I do appreciate that it will run out of puff and have to start up the compressor but I am a patient man.

It's the tubing that gets clogged up by the grit which suggests to me that the pressure is fine (as the venturi seems to work fine as it sucks up the grit into the tube). However even when there was grit flowing out of the nozzle it didn't seem to do very much.

The Bandit will have the required pressure (psi) but no where near sufficient flow (cfm) to feed the venturi.

The Bandit is rated at 5cfm (1.25hp) DISPLACEMENT!

The tool requires approx 14cfm (3hp)

Tools which require continuous air require large output compressors I'm afraid.

Andy

I'm afraid I must concur. Take a look at a Guyson bead blasters and look at the quoted cfm (FAD) figures. Even a smallish self-assembly cabinet, such as this one by Frost

8066.jpg

requires 10cfm FAD minimum. Oh yes, and their ally oxide blast compound is £26.00 for 12kg - how does that compare to MM? Frosts aren't really much for woodworkers, but they're an interesting site to look if you are restoring cars, etc. They also flog PCL couplers.....

Scrit

andys wood shed":205keli7 said:
The Bandit will have the required pressure (psi) but no where near sufficient flow (cfm) to feed the venturi.

The Bandit is rated at 5cfm (1.25hp) DISPLACEMENT!

The tool requires approx 14cfm (3hp)

Oops :oops: missed that one but notice that the cfm isn't mentioned in their spec. Still it was only an experiment! Gives me the excuse to buy a BIGGER one. Any recommendations? It will be only occasional use. I saw this one at 12.5 cfm. It's going to cost me about £450-500 for someone to come in and do a few oak beams.

Is there a rule of thumb to find out the cfm required for a given tool if not specified?

Roger Sinden":16wdi5kw said:
Is there a rule of thumb to find out the cfm required for a given tool if not specified?

Afraid not Roger :cry:
With compressor manufactures quoting displacement figures and tool manufactures quoting consumption figures its a mine field.

To run tools that require continuous air you need large output compressors and their is no substitution for size :lol:

It is impossible to say if the compressor you have provided the link to would be large enough without first trying it, but in my opinion it would struggle
The specification quotes 12.5cfm displacement (this is not output but the swept volume of the piston) and 8 bar max working pressure.
Remember these are two independent values and the compressor will not provide both maximums at the same time.

I have a 14cfm displacement 10 bar compressor with a 75 litre receiver and for short periods it just about copes.

Hope that has helped.

Andy

ps Have you considered hiring a compressor

As Andy says, plus don't believe what compressor vendors tell you. There's CFM and CFM - the vendors of lower cost compressors will tell you that their machine will deliver 12.5cfm, but as Andy points that's swept volume, NOT the real figure. For that the figure you want is called FAD (free air delivered) which is something only the industrial guys quote freely. The other things to take into account are the pressure at which the receiver stores the compressed air and it's volume. For workshop use I've ended up with a 20 cfm FAD machine which has a 270 litre @ 150psi receiver. That machine restarts every 2 or 3 minutes when I'm running an air drill so you can perhaps begin to see how much air is consumed.

Scrit

And the FAD for a given compressor has to be extrapolated before it is quoted to the customer to take into account any changes in site conditions for ;

electrical supply in hertz
ambient conditions temperature
% relative humidity
meters above sea level

and then up to a 6% tolerance is allowed :?

A mine field I'm afraid

Andy

Scrit":26zubfm6 said:
I'm afraid I must concur. Take a look at a Guyson bead blasters and look at the quoted cfm (FAD) figures. Even a smallish self-assembly cabinet, such as this one by Frost

8066.jpg

requires 10cfm FAD minimum. Oh yes, and their ally oxide blast compound is £26.00 for 12kg - how does that compare to MM? Frosts aren't really much for woodworkers, but they're an interesting site to look if you are restoring cars, etc. They also flog PCL couplers.....

Scrit

We had a much larger one of those guyson cabinets at the factory before we sold up. It used to bring the place to a standstill as it would drain a 40cfm ingersoll rand screw compressor with huge receiver in no time - leaving no air for the CNCs!

As to the problem - what about a pressure washer? you can get sand blast accessories for those. unless getting things wet is a problem of course :)

I was faced with a similar problem of cleaning up pine beams and trusses in our old barn. I too, thought of getting blasting kit and doing the job myself, until I started looking at the protective gear that you need in order to survive the process. If the beams aren't in situ, then it would possibly be a whole lot easier.
The pros weren't that keen on the job as the roof had just been done and the felt was still exposed - they reckoned that one slip and I'd be looking at a big hole in the new felt! They suggested that once the ceiling was plasterboarded, they'd be able to do the job, but would still need to put ply over the plasterboard alongside the purlins. Ho hum. Of course, the job should've been done before the roof, but...... :roll:

In the end I bought a Festool Rotex sander and lots of 40 grit discs and did the job myself. Protective gear was just a Trend Airshield as I didn't fancy the muck on the beams (face masks are no use to me as I wear specs and they steam up). Hooked up to a Festool extractor the Rotex did the job really well, although it can't get tight into the corners of course. If I don't factor in the cost of my time then doing the job paid for the Rotex and then some, and it's going to be a very useful piece of kit; it's already produced a lovely finish on an old table top for her ladyship to French polish, so she's impressed too (bonus!)

I seriously considered the Festool Rustofix, which is a vicious wire brushing machine. I had a play with one at my nearest dealer, and it cleaned up some samples I took along in no time. However, the weight of the thing meant that I wouldn't be able to use it overhead, and when I tried their demo Rotex I knew that would do the job. I've still got a lot of old doors, boards etc that I can clean up in comfort, and the Rustofix is still tempting...... probably have to sell it after I'd finished, though, and I'm definitely not selling the Rotex!

Machine Mart technical support were very helpful. According to them the crucial parameter is CFM and I need around 15cfm to drive a sand blaster. This little snippet does not appear in any of their documentation and so yet another trip back to MM but this time for a refund for the lot (including the replacement extension hose which went pop yesterday and started leaking big time).

The size of machine needed to supply 15 cfm is colossal and costs about £1k from MM and so I'll pass, I think. I have a professional coming in on Tuesday at a cost of only £300 + VAT all in including sand.

The tech support guy also mentioned in passing that free air displacement is about 2/3 cfm.

Hey Roger,
If its not too late, I have a 90CFM compressor and Sand blasting kit. I can do the beams for you for the cost of sand. You will need to get the beams up to me though.

Cheers
Lee.

syntec4":2x9kl85t said:
Hey Roger,
If its not too late, I have a 90CFM compressor and Sand blasting kit. I can do the beams for you for the cost of sand. You will need to get the beams up to me though.

Cheers
Lee.

Thanks Lee. I'll just dismantle the house and stick it in the boot of my Mazda then I'll hit the motorway and be with you around 6pm this evening :lol:

The sandblaster came this week. Out of curiosity I asked him what cfm his compressor kicked out. 270cfm was the answer!! Kitted out, and in the dusty gloom, he looked like something out of Star Wars. Here's a Before and After shot.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

It would have taken me years to do it.

Back